Sunday, July 26, 2026

Corn!

This weekend was all about preserving food.  Altogether  I made 30 quarts of applesauce as well as apple butter.  As I was finishing that mess last night, I learned that some neighbor boys were selling corn and had a bunch left.  They made me a neighbor discount deal that I just couldn’t resist!  So today I had 7 dozen ears of corn to do something with. To me, corn is easy- but messy.  In order to preserve it, I just shuck it, cut it off the cob and then put it in quart size freezer bags, add a small amount of sugar and salt and freeze it. No, I do not cook it until I am ready to use it.  It might be controversial online, in the canning and food preservation groups I follow, but I have been doing it this way for years and it works for me! 
This was amazing corn too!  Not one worm in the entire batch!  Not any bad ears either!  
I had to run to Topeka to pick up Harper from a house/cat sitting job and buy some liquid  chlorine since the pool has turned green (this has been the worst year for the pool).   When we got home, Andrew and Madison and the girls were swimming (they don’t care about the green they only care about doing stuff outside that isn’t getting overheated).  I went on inside and started on the corn.  After a while, Andrew and Jim came inside and started helping me shuck.  Evelyn then asked if she could help, so we showed her how to shuck.   Then, of course Wrenley wanted to help as well. She caught right on to shucking and was handing me nicely done ears.  Then I noticed the pile she was standing in!  Apparently she didn’t hear the part about putting the shucks in the bucket!  Luckily it was easily cleanable. She cracks me up.   


Mallory and Madison also helped me shuck corn. They got all 84 ears shucked in about 20 minutes!  It was awesome.  
We got 12 quarts and 4 bags of corn on the cob in the freezer plus we had enough for dinner too. Which was sort of weird since we had breakfast for dinner!  Also, the goats and chickens had a great shuck and cob feast!  

 



 




I also used some of the jalapeños from our garden and made Jim some jalapeño jelly.  After all that, I threw the tomatoes in the freezer- I’m out of weekend and out of energy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment