Monday, September 21, 2015

Poultry auction

I love craigslist.  It is my secret addiction. Or maybe it isn't that much of a secret.  We don't usually buy a lot of stuff, but I love to look, and I am often amused by the ads.   A few weeks ago, I noticed that there was going to be a huge poultry auction in Onaga today.  There were supposed to be 2000 birds sold.  I was immediately interested!  Quincy and I invited some 4-h friends to go along.  We made a day of it.  
We also talked grandma into going and driving a bird transport vehicle.  
These two are the best kind of friends.  There is so much goofiness when they are together but there is zero drama.  They like a lot of the same things and they want to live together on a poultry farm when they grow up.  They took sale bills and very carefully scrutinized every bird on the place.  They quickly both decided it was the best day of their lives.  
While the big girls were scrutinizing birds, Harper and Saige were discovering that grandma carries mini toothbrushes (throwaway kind) in her purse.  There should be no bidding on birds unless your teeth are immaculate.  
I love auctions.  I do know however that they go one of two ways.  Today was the way of wow we really can't afford to buy this stuff.  We did try though.  At the end of the day we came home with 6 new half grown guineas, 6 brown leghorn pullets, and one peacock who Quincy named Jerry.  
I honestly don't know when I have seen Preston nor Quincy happier.  Jerry is exactly what we needed.  I just hope we can keep him alive.  
At the end of the day, I realized this little endeavor took 9 hours.  But what a fun Sunday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment