Saturday, September 9, 2023

For-everrrr


Why is it that when you have a short week (you know - from having Monday off) the week drags on and on and on forever?  I thought we would never get to the weekend.  Not that it matters, really since I (stupidly?) said yes to driving the volleyball team today.  What seems like a good idea on Wednesday doesn’t feel like a good idea on Saturday morning - I need to remember that. It’s my own fault.  I had been meaning for the liquor store job to just be a summer gig.  When summer was close to over, I sort of liked working there and was reluctant to quit.   As an excuse for quitting, I talked to the bus boss about whether he would need weekend help this year. He told me that no, he would not be needing me because he hired 4 activity drivers, and that they would be doing all activities unless you had a kid playing.  And so I thought geez I need that extra money, I won’t quit.   I talked to the liquor store bosses about only being able to work a couple weekends a month and they were happy to continue on that way.  So where are these activity drivers?  Well it turns out they have lives that they want to lead, and schools have the weirdest idea that you should be playing games, running cross country, playing golf, doing forensics and debate meets, playing weekend tournaments and dozens of other things every single day!   These activity drivers are old. They don’t have the stamina to work 7 days a week. And honesty, I don’t blame them.  Schools are constantly looking at their budgets. They make cuts to things like janitorial staff, teaching positions, cheaper curriculum, and kitchen help.   I personally look at the cost of what we spend on administration and the insane amount for transportation to extra curricular junk and think geez we could have paid a lot of janitors and kitchen staff if we just said “ok there will be no transportation for kids on weekends….parents take them to this tournament.”   But that is a dream world I am living in after all, volleyball is life right?  Not that I am complaining at all, I can make a lot of money just to sit there and work on the year end 4-H paperwork and some other stuff I’ve been meaning to get to.  So that’s where I’m at.   A volleyball tournament that seems like it will never end.  Again, this is not complaining, just part of an exceptionally long week.  

One nice thing, the weather is starting to cool down.  Little missy even had to break out her jeans.  Why is this baby wearing jeans and a jacket  the cutest thing I’ve ever seen?   I’m obsessed!   

My days are brightened when I get messages from my big kids.   Cameron reported that KSU got a new zip line on campus.  He wanted to be the first to use it.  Despite my thoughts that being first to use a zip line might be dangerous - and  that someone else should be the guinea pig, he jumped right on there.  He said it was fun!

He was also the recipient of the silver thumb for the week.  I don’t know what qualifies you for such a prestigious award, but he said the person who wins gets to give it to the person they choose next week. I asked what keeps people from choosing themselves over and over. He told me that was a great idea and he plans to implement it this week.   

I wasn’t the only one who had a long week!   Love this little work helper of mine.  

I am not sure why but my aunt posted this photo of my grandparents.  It’s one of my favorites.  What you can’t see is that my grandpa didn’t want to take a picture.  We had to make him.  He had other things to do.  He wasn’t around too much longer after this was taken so I’m thankful for it.  I just wanted to save it here in case I ever want to look at it.  They were good people. I’m thankful for the time I got with them. 






And now back to watching other  people’s  children play volleyball. 

No comments:

Post a Comment