Monday, September 4, 2023

Better days


Yesterday was  not near as eventful as Saturday, and for that I am thankful.  Jim was very excited to cross another fish off of the list of caught species.  This is a flathead.  And no, he didn’t go noodling!   It isn’t as large as the ones Colin commonly comes up with, but it counts as a check mark off the list anyway!  

Evie wanted to have a sleepover after Sunday dinner.  She also had a check list of things you have to do at a sleepover!   Go swimming, have a dance party, watch a movie, stay up very late (like 10:00!), tell stories, eat snacks and don’t forget to brush your teeth!   She does make me smile. We also had some fireworks that were left over from 4th of July that Jim didn’t want to store for the winter- so we lit those off too!  (Carefully because we have had enough fires this weekend).   

I would be remiss if I didn’t point out that this little girl has us all whipped.  But in particular, a certain tall man who likes to pretend to be tough  is a complete bowl of Jello in this kid’s presence.      The transformation into a poppy for him is adorable and amazing.   I’m so thankful I’ve been witness to it.   She completely brings back that soft, sweet man I remember from when we were dating.   Not that he wasn’t soft and sweet to our own kids, but he also had a huge desire to instill lessons in them   To teach them to have morals, be good workers, and be good, helpful people.  He is a little harder on them than he is in grandpa world.   So when this kid said “get in the pool with us  Poppy!”  In he came - in his clothes!   

Wrenley doesn’t care about swimming, or about fireworks. She was too busy being a milk drunk. She is getting so big.  I am amazed by how strong she is- wanting to put weight on her legs and “stand” already- she’s very expressive and easy going.   I absolutely love her.  It’s nice getting some baby snuggles into my days again!  

Aunt Saige was at a sleepover last night, but aunt Harper and Aunt Quincy saved the day.  Aunt Quincy told the stories, helped with the dance party, and built the obligatory fort.  Aunt Harper got the movie going and was the recipient of the 5:30 wake up call for breakfast!  I got up at 7 to Evie eating sausage and banana  slices. I asked Harper why she didn’t wake me up and she said “cause I had it all under control.”   I’m serious when I say my kids are the best.  











Today is Labor Day.  I was amused when I was talking to Jim last night and he said he had to call his mom today because she had to give birth to his big a$$ head.  I said “you know that’s not the kind of labor we celebrate  on Labor Day right?”   He just laughed.  Such a dork.  
I am thankful for the extra day.  Especially since it is a paid day off.   I need this day to be one of catching up on all the stuff we didn’t get done because the weekend went too fast and we did too many other things.  Laundry- here I come!  

No comments:

Post a Comment