Monday, September 18, 2023

Weekends were made for?


Ideal weekends for me are for Relaxing and family time.    And a little work thrown in there too.  Catching up, and baby snuggles.  Laundry and a cat nap, impromptu sleep overs with friends, house loaded with people.  And as weekends go, we accomplished a lot of my ideals.  Not all, because there were a few kids missing, but I did talk/text with all of them so that is a bonus!  
It was actually better than it was supposed to be.  I had agreed to driving junior high volleyball.  I was told I would be making 3-4 trips back and forth to Perry, but as they talked more about the timing, a decision was made to utilize vans instead of a bus.  I was asked if it hurt my feelings to not go.   I had to laugh - telling me to stay home could never hurt my feelings.  
With Saturday freed up, I decided to ride to the airport on Friday night with Jim.  Andrew was in Vegas all last week, and his flight landed at 12:45 AM.  Jim had agreed to getting him so that Madison didn’t have to drag the girls to KC in the middle of the night.   Jim and I had not been to KCI since they built the new airport.  I wasn’t immediately a fan of the new layout, but then I remembered it was new, I hadn’t used it before and the first time doing so I had been up for literally 20 hours, it was dark, raining, and I was a little bit tired.  I’ll reserve my judgment for a different day!  We did easily find Andrew, and safely delivered him back to his girls!  We got home at 3:30 AM.  I teased Jim that we hadn’t been out that late in a very, very long time.  Then he reminded me of the night a few weeks ago when we scraped the laminate off Mallory’s basement floor.  I guess it isn’t that we don’t get out, it’s that we need to re-evaluate our late-night fun!   

I was overjoyed to get some time in with the girls this weekend! I love these little granddaughters of ours!  This one is growing up too fast!  She is starting to smile and trying to roll over!  They just refuse to stay little!  

Mallory is in a friend's wedding in a few weeks.  This was bachelorette party weekend.  I think she had fun, and we got the grand dogs.  She was happy that they were extremely tired after hanging out with us!  Lazy Daisy slept for 12 hours straight!  :)  She was outside with us while Jim cut brush, and we worked together to pile it up and burn it.  This time. we were extremely cautious with the fire!  Our outside work was interrupted with a little storm and some rain, which is very much needed.  Unfortunately, the plan was that when we were done with the brush, we were going to get in the pool and finish cleaning/take out the steps for the winter.  With the storm, we didn't get that done, however it is supposed to be 90 this afternoon, so the girls and I can tackle it!  They have no school today, so I think we should have time!  


The girls were extremely happy to have their daddy back!  Evie told me she got some chocolate coins that he brough back for her, so she was really happy!  











This weekend also held some sadness for us as well, as Aunt Florence passed away.  Aunt Florence was my grandma Shirley's sister.  She is going to be missed!  She and Uncle Fred were always around when my grandma was alive.  They had an RV, and would commonly roll into town and stay a few days in grandma's driveway.  They used to show up to do projects.  Things like building garage shelving units.  Once, they stopped by my house for me to cut her hair, and the kids took Uncle Fred into our basement.  Seeing that we had no handrail, Uncle Fred left, and then a couple hours later, was back with all the supplies to ensure that we had proper handrails for safety!  Aunt Florence was always cooking up some amazing food.  When you would ask for the recipe, she would laugh and pull some box out to show you that she had heated something up but added her own spices to it.  It always sort of cracked me up.  My grandma and her siblings were like nobody I know.  They were friends, they legitimately enjoyed being together, and literally had a party for every single holiday.  They always celebrated together - New Year's Eve, New Year's Day, they had a huge sleepover party - we used to crash on the floor and then wake up to all of them cooking insane amounts of food, kids everywhere and all of them visiting for hours.  They never seemed to get tired of being together.  It gave me a lifelong love of family.  They set the idea that as long as you have family, you will have a group to have parties with!  I will miss Aunt Florence, and I truly believe that there is one hell of a card game going on somewhere in heaven.  Probably complete with accusations of cheating.  Rest in Peace Aunt Flo!

No comments:

Post a Comment