Monday, September 25, 2023

This weekend slapped


Slapping is a good thing. At least according to the teenage girls I live with.  We were running a bit low in the money department this weekend, I didn’t have to work, and I was full of projects I wanted to do.   Two days of going nowhere (except church) makes me excited no matter what.  
This is Mallory and her friend Erin.  Erin is getting married in a couple weeks.  Mallory is in the wedding.  Erin’s parents are friends of ours, and mayor Jon is Jim’s boss.  We love this family, and are excited and happy for Erin.  

Madison and Mallory took Camryn out for her birthday.  They went to the Boo lights at Ward Mead Park. (I think that’s what it is called).  Evie wasn’t having it.   She had to tag along!   They said it was fun.  Evie was telling me a little the big eye lights.  

Preston seems to be enjoying KSU so far.  He said he’s making friends, having a great time, loves going to the games, and classes are going well (except for perhaps chemistry which he said is difficult).  He also started door dashing which he says is working really well, and he is happy to have a schedule-less job.   Or at least a job where he controls his schedule.  Jim and I have been planning to go see him, but between his schedule and ours, we haven’t made it yet.  Luckily, he’s adapting well and isn’t terribly upset by our absence.  ;)

I have been enjoying the weather, the break from the air conditioning, and the beautiful fall sunrises.  Saturday morning, I planned to sleep in.  I have been working some weekends, and have to work again next weekend, so I wanted to sleep. Unfortunately, between old age, daily schedule controlling my brain, and Jim needing to get up to help with lake clean-up day at the city, I was up way earlier than I planned!   But this sunrise made it worth getting up!  It’s always amazing to me how each sunrise and sunset contain so much beauty, and no two are ever alike.  I also took a few moments to be thankful for where we live.   I truly love it here.  

We had Sunday dinner.  The boys went fishing.  The girls stayed home and made cinnamon rolls to go with the chili.  I love these kinds of days.  House full of people, kids playing, good food cooking, fun conversations about random topics.  It gives me a lot of joy.  I was also able to accomplish a lot of the things on my never ending to do list.  

Saige wanted her hair cut.  We literally did not cut the front at all, but we cut about 6 inches off the back and sides.  She was pretty upset that nobody really noticed.  I tried to explain that when you wear your hair pulled up, and don't change the front, it isn't all that noticeable if you cut a lot off, even though it fills big to you.  She was not pleased with my explanations.  

Madison joined my mom and I in bus driving world this year.  She has been driving vo-tech kids back and forth in a van. You don’t have to have a CDL for that.  Our boss still wanted her to get her cdl, and learn to drive a bus so that she can take a route, or sub, or do whatever other crazy junk he gets conned into.  Last week, she passed her written tests, and now has a learner’s permit for learning to drive the bus.  Yesterday, I took her out and we practiced going forward.  I remember when Colin took his cdl course at Barton County he told me that they learned to back up first.  The instructor told them if you can’t learn to back up, going forward won’t ever matter.   That CDL instructor was pretty smart, but in this case, I think going forward is a better place to start!  She did a great job of navigating corners, and of figuring out some of the buttons and switches.  We will have more time to practice, and will master going backwards before her test (although I may revert to grandam's help teaching her some mirror using mad back up skills).  Wrenley took her first bus ride, naked of course!  The girl hates wearing clothes!  












I love the age that Wrenley is now.  She is starting to coo, and smile, and make faces at you, and stays awake a little longer at a time, but still stays where you put her if you set her down someplace!  She is a sweet little baby!  Evelyn also went with us to teach her mom to drive the bus...she was full of advice, after all, she has been a "bus para" for like 4 years now!  

This week is filled with interesting weirdness and randomness.  I wish I could say I was looking forward to it, but I am just not.  I could use another couple days of being home with my peeps!  


No comments:

Post a Comment