Sunday, September 20, 2009

Relay and more...





Well, I was right, this has been a maniac festival of a weekend. But it has also been very fun! The kids loved participating in the Relay for Life again this year, and were proud to say that $58,600 was raised for cancer research. All of the big kids spent the night walking with Jim. They all logged quite a few miles, but Cam was especially proud that he managed to make it 100 laps which is 25 miles! They all have sore tired feet and legs today though, but it was for such a worthy cause!! Preston, Quincy and I spent the evening there and then came home for a decent place to sleep! It was a lot of fun for everyone.
I am now in the process of catching up on some paperwork and planning and getting ready for another week. We managed to go pick apples at my grandma's house today and spent some time visiting with her. She is having her surgery this Thursday, so lots of prayers are needed! Preston, Quincy and Mallory helped me pick apples, and now I will spend some time freezing them. Nothing beats hot apple crisp in the winter! I also managed to get several quarts of tomatoes in the freezer, and we made pear butter, which turned out great - but pears really bake down when you cook them, so I didn't get as many quarts as I originally thought I would. We also made salsa, and although I thought since I tripled the amount of jalapenos it would be pretty hot, and I thought it was pretty warm tasting, my wonderful husband thought it was pretty mild. I am feeling very domestic lately, although again, I am thankful for the help from the girls in getting things done!
Mallory and Madison will be making their confirmation at church, and will be starting classes for that in a couple of weeks, but we learned today that they will not be confirmed until next October, which is fine, but for some reason I thought it would be in the spring. Either way, I just hope that they will have a good experience in the classes and that they will learn alot, and be touched by the Holy Spirit. They have to perform 40 hours of community service...they thought that sounded like an AWFUL amount - until I pointed out that they got in 12 hours last night! Really, with how active they are in church and 4-H it won't take them nearly as long as they are thinking!
I had a meeting on Friday for Preston to get speech therapy at preschool. As a part of the meeting, they asked him what he wanted to be when he grows up. My very creative son looked at them straight faced and replied "I want to be a light bulb." That's when they called in the crisis intervention team (just kidding!). Honestly, though, I am not sure how you respond to an answer like that - the school psychologist (who happens to be the same one who was there when I was growing up) responded that in all her years she had never heard that answer before!

No comments:

Post a Comment