Sunday, August 14, 2011

2011 Fair - success!

This week, we had the 2011 Overbrook Osage County fair. I think it was a success, or at least we survived, and got hogs through the auction, so I am counting it as a success!


Mallory and Madison's high school marching band took first place in the 'battle of the bands' at the parade, and won $1200! They really did sound awesome!
We were blessed that the 112 degree days were a thing of the past, and with highs in the 80's and a day of rainy weather, it was very pleasant sitting outside! The kids had a great time with their pigs! They did not have any big award winning hogs this time, but they had fun showing them, hanging out with their 4-H friends and selling them!




Our kids did not have any champions, but they most certainly did all of their own work! All I had to do was sit around and watch this year - and I must say it was enjoyable! I am very proud of their abilities in handling their hogs, and how very far they have come from a few short years ago when they were terrified of their hogs to now when they can move them, wash them, and show them all with very little help from me!



Colin had a champion on his fishing poster. I will take some pictures of him with the poster, he is excited because it gets to go to the state fair!






Cam got a purple ribbon on some cookies that Madison baked.....she gave them to him when she broke the bundt cake that he made! It was very nice of her to replace his project, but she wants the world to know she can bake champion cookies!!!!




Cam also got a champion on his bee display. He was a little bit disappointed that it won't go to the state fair because it was a self-determined project, and there is no self-determined category at the state fair. I am proud of the work he did on it anyhow - and again I failed to get a photo, so I will have to take care of that!



And again this year, Quincy cried when we told her the pigs were getting sold. Poor little girl, gets so attached! I can't help but think that we did the perfect job in picking out her Godmother, Grace, who is also a pig lover!


Fairs are fun, but exhausting. I love watching my kids, I love that they can do their own work, and I am proud of the work that they put into this year. I am not sad that the fair is over though, because sitting in my house rather than a pig barn was very nice today!


More photos to come - I seem to have failed to take photos of much except for some pigs! Oh well, the pigs are sold, the posters will be sitting around the house forever! And nobody wants to see a photo of cookies I don't think!

No comments:

Post a Comment