Wednesday, August 24, 2011

a "bee-utiful" end to summer break


Today, we decided it is getting close to honey harvest on Cam's beehive, and he wanted to take a peek to see how much honey the bees have been putting in the newest super (box). He very gently lifted the lid. A couple of the bees bumped into him - this is a warning sign, and he forgot to take it as such. After a few bumps, the hive sent a couple of guards after him! He got 3 stings! One on the wrist, which wasn't too bad or painful, one on the neck, which was pretty bothersome, and one right beside his nose! He was upset that this meant the death of 3 of his bees! As the afternoon went on, he got more and more swollen, to the point of his eye being about halfway closed. I called the doctor and they said if he can breathe, and his tongue isn't swelling, and he can swallow, just to give him benedryl and watch him.

Of course, as luck would have it, today was meet your teacher day at school! So I had to drag Cam to Carbondale to meet his new teacher for 6th grade looking like we spent the summer beating him! Luckily, his teacher is our neighbor, and she didn't immediately think the worst of us!

While we were at the school, Cam's friend's mom suggested that I run him over to Doc Sanders and get him a shot of cortisone. Doc Sanders is the town vet! She was totally serious - thought it would save me a trip to Topeka as well as being much cheaper! I am pretty sure that I won't be taking my kid to the town vet - or that it is even legal for a vet to give a kid a shot? I am not all that up on Kansas law, but this seemed like a no to me! I did the next worst thing, and gave him some prednisone that was leftover from when he had poison ivy earlier this summer! At least it was people medication! You know you live in a small town when....??? I figure between the steroids and the benedryl he will hopefully feel better in a day or two! At least I hope so.....he does not look too good for the first day of school like this!


I am also pleased that this experience has not deterred Cam from wanting to continue with his bee project. He seemed fine, and understood that he did a couple of things wrong - missing the warning signals from the bees as well as not smoking the hive, or wearing a protective suit when looking in the hive. He would still like to add another hive to his collection next spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment