Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Critters

Last spring, we purchased 7 ducklings and 10 pullets.  Nine of the 10 pullets died and the one who survived is no pullet. Licorice is a rooster.  But shhhhhh! He thinks he is a duck.  We don't tell him he isn't.  He follows the ducks around and despite countless attempts to get him to live in the chicken pen he escapes and goes right back with the ducks.  
For the life of me I don't know why he wants to live with them because ducks are gross.  Every day I fill their swimming pool with clean water and before we can even finish chores it is disgusting again.  They also don't smell very nice.  I have been asked what we are going to do with 
Them and honestly, I don't know.  But what I do know is the Quincy loves them and wants to take them to the fair next year and so if they survive the winter they can stay.  
Also becoming a life time resident seems to be Kristy the hog.  He still hasn't grown despite feeding him since May.  We thought he was going to be a football dinner, but we haven't made that work yet.  The longer he stays the more it seems like he is a lifer.  
The chickens and peacocks have enjoyed the Halloween Jack O'lanterns.  I love how they enjoy our waste.  
The peacocks seem like they are settled ok.  I think we may try releasing them in another week or so.   They really are pretty birds.  
Some of our goats are with the breeder.  This has allowed Curley and Mo to think they are in charge.  Barbie and Lexi don't seem to mind the change in leadership.  
I adore my guineas.  They make neat noise and are funny to watch.  The fact that they eat bugs just makes me happier with them.  
Because we have bugs!   Currently these are overwhelming.  I  am not clear on if they are ladybugs or Japanese beetles.  Either way, they are covering everything. 
Saige is not feeling well.  I think it's just a rotten cold.  
Luckily she has sticker paws to keep her company!  

No comments:

Post a Comment