Wednesday, January 30, 2019

a polar vortex

Preston had a basketball game Monday night against Anderson County.  He started varsity, and played really well.  His team about gave me an ulcer with their back and forth scoring, and getting down by several, and then making a big comeback for the win.  Seriously boys -  I am an old lady, my heart can't take this stuff!  haha!

Preston has always reminded me of Cameron.  In looks, and in attitude.  When he was playing Monday, if he made a mistake you could see him grinding his teeth and throwing looks.  A friend of mine leaned over and said "geez is that Cameron junior or what?"  It cracked me up.  I had been thinking the same thing!  They must have gotten their intensity from their dad!




Mike was at the game again.  He does such good work.  I am going to say I love these photos, and will be ordering a few before the season is over.  I know a lot of people video the games, but  I will always love still photos.




As much as we miss Evie, I am sort of happy that she is in Arizona where it is 70+ degrees rather than having to be drug around in this crazy polar vortex weather we are having.  Oh! Never mind, we would just stay home and cuddle under some blankets!  She is getting closer to coming home.  She is making good progress.  She is inching closer to the 5 pound mark, and doing so good with her feedings.  I love this little baby!  I am thankful for cell phone technology!  Waiting has never been my forte'  - this waiting is killing me.

The weather has forced our hands in some critters being in the house.  The twins born Sunday were not born to a very good/attentive mother.  As a result, one passed away, and we chose to remove the other one and bring her inside.  They were both extremely cold, and hungry.  The white one was just too far gone by the time we stepped in. Quincy worked really hard to save her, and it was disappointing.   The brown headed one is doing good.  Her name is Dufensmurtz.  She is pretty sweet, and happy to be inside out of the cold.  


She is also a barnyard animal, and I will happily put her back in the barn this weekend when it is 50 degrees.  Fickle Kansas weather.  Dufensmurtz has the loudest cry I have ever heard!  I am, as I mentioned earlier, an old lady.  I woke up to her cry and had no idea what was happening, or who had broken into the house!  :)  

In addition to the goat being in the house, we also have Mary Goldwater inside.  After Jim puts the kids on the bus in the mornings, he gets ready to go to work.  He said the house is usually pretty quiet (he is the last one there).  He heard something on the deck.  He looked out and discovered a chicken, half frozen and not looking too happy.  He called me when he got to work and told me there was another chicken in the "chicken hospital" (cat carrier inside the house).  We just released a different one earlier this week.  I guess life wouldn't be quite the same if I didn't have a chicken in the chicken hospital!  I cannot bring myself to put her back outside today, since it is literally -4.  She will just have to hang out with us until the weekend when it is warmer.  She isn't loud like the goat, but chickens smell terrible.  :)  Luckily, the kids are off school today, so they can take care of all these problem beasts.  I am thankful for the school calling off today.  I know there will be people who say the roads are clear, and there was not really any reason to cancel, but honestly, I would hate to have a kid freeze if a bus breaks down, or something.  These kids rarely wear weather appropriate clothing, and even if you were wearing a coat, hat, gloves etc (which they won't be) it just is not worth the risk.  Plus, I like a day to hang out with the kids anyway.  Religion Ed is also cancelled, so it seems like a good afternoon for baking, blankets, and hot chocolate!
I never quite know what Cameron is going to be doing.  When he was a little kid, he loved Rey Mysterio.  He had a Rey mask that he wore all the time.  Recently, he purchased a purple one to wear to the KSU games.  He makes me laugh. I prefer this to the speedo!  His friends are good sports.  I love this one of him and his friend Dorian.  They have been bff's since kindergarten!  Now they are both grown men attending KSU together, just like they always planned!



No comments:

Post a Comment