Saturday, September 11, 2021

Firemen vrs policemen































This evening, Andrew’s fire station played a softball game against the police department at Carbondale.  Preston was in a group of band kids who played the National Anthem before the game.  They also had a moment of silence in remembrance of the people who lost their lives on 9/11.   


Madison and Andrew both played on the firemen  softball team.  It has been a long time since we watched Madison play softball.  They both played well, but Madison reported that she felt really old!  

I got a huge kick out of Evie standing at the fence yelling “go Madison!”  So funny!  She also was very happy that the concession stand was giving out free hotdogs and chips.  And we let Saige bring Carlos to the game as well.  Carlos seemed to have fun!  Evelyn was happy to help walk him.   

It was a nice evening at the ballpark.  
I saw a lot of what were you doing 20 years ago posts.  It is hard for me to believe that 9/11 happened that long ago.  I had dropped the girls off at school.  They were in kindergarten.  Jim left for his job in Kansas City.  I was getting ready to take one of the boys to the doctor because they were sick. My mom called and asked if I saw the news.  Of course we had the tv on, but it was on some kid show.   I changed the channel just in time to see the plane fly into the second tower.  I remember my mom not wanting me to go to Topeka.  I remember battling with myself on whether to go pick the girls up from school. I remember wanting to ask Jim to come home from work.  The helpless feeling, and wondering what kind of world I brought kids into.  I also distinctly remember going to the doctor’s office, and them asking me for any information because they didn’t have a tv.  Followed by going into Walmart to get medicine for the sick kid, and feeling sort of eerie  because Walmart was completely silent.   Followed by being glued to the tv and not believing my eyes.   Jim finally turned it off and told me to stop watching.  I had a paper route at this time and spent 3 hours a morning alone in my car.  That was all that was on the radio, and I remember throwing the paper while being blinded by my own tears.   I will definitely never forget.  

No comments:

Post a Comment