Sunday, December 6, 2009

Scare tactics

When I was a kid, my grandfather and father worked together on the family farm. My brothers and sister and I used to think it was great fun to sneak up on Grandpa and scare the pants off of him. He was a very jumpy man. He would always tell us that we took years off his life, but it didn't stop us from doing it every chance we got. I feel kind of bad about it now, maybe had we not taken years from his life, he would still be here with us today!
In the past week, I feel especially bad about it since I have found that I definitely inherited his jumpy nature. I was using Jim' s car to take Colin to wrestling practice this week. I have not driven Jim's car very often, and was fumbling around in the dark trying to figure out how to get the headlights on. A friend of mine was over at our neighbor's house picking up kids for wrestling practice and she came across the street to see if she could give Colin a ride too. I didn't see her coming, so when she knocked on my window I came absolutely unglued! I screamed like one of the people out of those old awful horror movies. She felt terrible, and so did I - after all she was being nice and here I am acting like she was going to kill me!
Several weeks ago, Cam's lizard got out of his cage. We had given up looking for Jay Lizard and assumed he was dead someplace, or that one of the cats had eaten him. Today, when I was sorting laundry, Jay ran across my foot. Again, I screamed like a banshee on crack, and acted like that stupid 1/2 oz lizard would kill me. In fairness, I saw it move across my foot and thought it was a mouse, and I am terrified of rodents. I can't help but think about all the times I did this to my poor grandfather. I hope he is looking on and laughing at my expense now!

2 comments: