Thursday, June 7, 2018

My why 

I attended a funeral today for a friend/classmate.  He was killed at work last weekend.  His brother was Jim's maintenance man who was killed in November.  The devistation in one family is unimaginable to me.  When you grow up in a tiny little town like Overbrook, your classmates become sort of sibling like.  You get to know their families and when someone passes, the entire town mourns.  And while I don't want to make another family's devistation all about me, I sat there watching a slideshow of Craig's life and it occurred to me that he has left behind a pretty good legacy.  Family is where it's at.  

Over the years, Jim and I have tried really hard to be present for our kids.  It sometimes put us in financial binds, it sometimes meant sacrificing our own wants for theirs.  It has always been worth it though.  I hugged my kids a little closer when I got home.  I am blessed beyond measure to be allowed to be the mom  of these critters, and to have a good man beside me.  Life is too damned short.  

So I declare that for at least the rest of this summer, I am going to enjoy life a little bit more.  Spend a little time with my toes in the lake.  Talk to my spouse and enjoy his weird sense of humor.  Eat a dilly bar at Dairy Queen.  Take the kids to do more fun stuff.  Hang out with goats.  And soak in life.  All the work, all the daily stuff that we have to take care of doesn't mean a thing when the only thing left is memories.  

No comments:

Post a Comment