Friday, January 10, 2020

Freezy Friday






I really enjoy driving the bus.   It fits well in my schedule, and allows me to get paid to do something I enjoy- hanging out with my kids.  But today is one of the kinds of days that every bus driver cringes at.   Winter storm warning day.  Of course, this is Kansas.  We had to start out with 60 degrees (yesterday), thunderstorms, followed by freezing rain and a prediction of snow for tomorrow.  Between routes, I work in an office across from the bank.  The bank has a giant display of the temperature in huge red numbers.  I watched as it was raining and the temperature kept falling.  I watched as the cars outside were accumulating ice.  I dreaded my afternoon routes.  I left early, worried and chomped gum, prayed and tried to remember every thing they told us in those dang defensive driving classes they force bus drivers to sit through.  

Preston was supposed to have a basketball game tonight.  That got cancelled.  Saige was supposed to have her first game tomorrow morning.  That has also been cancelled.  I am thankful.  I  am also thankful that the roads were not yet bad when I drove home all my bus riders.  I was so happy to park the bus!  

My anxiety level dropped even more when all my people were safely inside all of their houses.  Of course, we have one son who has taken a job where this is the type of weather he will be most likely to get called out in, but he reports that the weather in Wichita isn’t bad.  

As for all the plans getting cancelled, I’m never one to complain about that!   We had a lovely evening eating the turkey that Madison got as a Christmas gift from her employer (we think Christmas should be celebrated with ham~so we saved it for a cold weekend).  We spent some time figuring out our new tv, face timed a little with Cameron, and relaxed after the long week of jumping back into the regular routine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment