Friday, October 28, 2022

Last and first parade and the candy man
















There is no school on Monday, which is Halloween day, so the schools had their Halloween parades and parties today.  Saige’s class was at 9:30 in Carbondale.  This is her last Halloween parade.  My mom convinced me that we could stand at the beginning of her parade, catch her class and then be in Scranton to catch Evie in her first ever parade at 10.  She was correct.  It happened.  Saige was the purple minion, but the school didn’t want face painting, so she improvised.  She wanted to be some horror movie character, but the school said no blood or gore. She complained that the school takes the fun out of Halloween, but missing the parade (and subsequently the candy) was out of the question.  

Evie was Elsa.  When she was waiting for her bus this morning, I noticed that of the 5 girls waiting 4 were Elsa!  We attended the parade of Elsa.  And they were all so cute!  The teachers and paras were all Dalmatians and the assistant superintendent was Cruella Deville.  It was also cute!  Evie was so happy and excited. I’m glad we were able to catch her!  

After the morning parades, I went back to work but stopped off to get Evie a lunch.   I might tell this story every year, but the Overbrook school always sends out a flyer telling the merchants that they will be coming to trick or treat and how many kids to expect.  Whatever they say, you should about double because people show up with younger siblings, and a few of the town day cares usually join in the parade as well.   Every year, Jim buys candy and “should” have plenty. But the man absolutely loves handing out candy!  He loves seeing the kids and giving them the goods.  He will start off handing them each 3-4 pieces and by the end he is always running so low that I start to panic.  So today, I stopped and got him an extra couple hundred pieces. I joked when I dropped it off with the assistant city clerk to watch him, because he can’t help himself.  She said she thought they had plenty of candy, but welcomed having some extra.  When it was over, including the stuff that I brought, Mr. City Clerk had about 15 pieces left. His assistant thanked me for buying the extra!   I was still sort of hyperventilating, but once again it worked out!   
Evelyn had an amazing time helping him!  She handed out a ton of candy, and several times I heard her telling Poppy to only give one piece!  


I love the Halloween parades.  I love seeing the kids and the unique costumes and the ones who stop to give ya a hug!   They always look so cute!  

All the excitement had Evie exhausted. I think the therapy dog was also exhausted.  I caught them resting together!   

Also caught sight of Mal.  She was Shaggy from Scooby Doo. One of the other 1st grade teachers was Scooby.  
It was a fun day.  I am fully invested in going to bed now because I am absolutely exhausted!  

No comments:

Post a Comment