Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Meaty time










The girls and I are trying a new project.  We lucked into some New Zealand rabbits.   We got 2 does and one buck (free) from a friend of mine.  We are fairly sure one of the does is bred.  We are excited about this project.  New Zealand’s are meat rabbits.  Are we going to eat rabbit?  Perhaps.  We will see if we can get the babies to live first. I will also have to learn to process rabbit because that isn’t anything I have done before. My understanding is that it is an extremely high protein meat that tastes like chicken. (Like everything else right?).  I was looking at the prices of rabbit meat.  It is crazy!   Jim and I are also planning to try raising some night crawlers in the manure.  This is a multi-step project!  


Lauren’s dog, Bella is obsessed with Cameron.  I laughed at these pictures Lauren sent.  Especially the below one where Cameron is trying to show Bella how to sleep on her bed outside.  Lauren and Cameron seem like they are doing ok.  I’m on record that I miss them!   

Saige spent a bunch of time this weekend photographing Carlos.  He’s such a mess!  He zooms through the weeds chasing after the neighbors dog.  As a result his eyes water because of getting slapped on the face with weeds.   Then it looks like he’s crying.  I have tried to convince him to stay in the mowed areas.  

Heard from Colin today.  He is taking his test for his journeyman position.  He has put in so many hours of his life, working hard to build a career.  I’m very proud of him.  Good luck bud!  

And this little girlie - always a hoot!   Her new thing is she can’t leave my house until her and her mom feed the pony his treats - which has been the norm for a while but now….now she must also gather the eggs.  Then tells me they are out of eggs at her house!   It makes me so happy that she’s learning where her food comes from!   At lunch today, we grabbed a bite at the bar.  Our neighbors were there.   They have a daughter the same age as Evelyn.   They mentioned that they wanted to have a pony party for their daughter.  I offered to bring Coco over.  They were excited about it.  They walked away, and I looked over.  There sat Evie with tears in her eyes.  She thought I was giving away her pony.  She came up, and very sadly said Grammy….Coco is the only pony we have left since Gigi’s died!  Please don’t give my pony away!  I felt terrible.  We assured her we won’t get rid of Coco, we were just loaning him to Claire for a couple hours.  I never want to see that sad look on her face again!  It was awful!   Coco is here to stay!  We won’t mention to her parents that if I can’t pull off butchering rabbits, she may also be getting some bunnies!  

No comments:

Post a Comment