Monday, October 21, 2013

Chicago part 2

 On Friday, we spent the majority of the day at the Field Museum.  I loved this, and could have spent more time there looking over the exhibits.  The kids loved the dinosaurs, and some of the animal exhibits, but grew tired and somewhat bored after a few hours.  I got called a nerd, and that is ok because I really love a good museum.



 The little ones and I have been reading about Sue, the 90% complete t-rex that is on display at the Field Museum.  The kids were super excited to finally meet her!  Harper was majorly impressed.  Her story is a really cool one, and I think the little kids actually learned something!  :)



 Another hit with the kids was the mummy display.  We might have teased Preston that he and this mummy boy  have the same physique.  Preston seemed unfazed by this and still isn't eating vegetables!

 Sue's head weighs around 600 pounds, so it is too heavy to display with the rest of her body.  We decided that Sue is an orthodontist's dream!
 Harper was very interested in touching Sue's teeth and ribs.  There was one on display which had a rib that had been broken and healed in Sue's lifetime.  You could feel the difference in the bone.  Now Harper runs around feeling people's legs and arms looking for broken bones.

 I never realized that some of the displays in museums are casts of other museum's exhibits.  Sort of a copy permanently borrowed from another museum.  I found this pretty interesting.
 Apotosaurus footprint makes a good place to rest.
 Cameron was not thrilled with the plants of the world display.  He said he felt like he could die of boredom in that room!
 He had to do something to stay awake he said!
 I was happy to get to see the Lions of Tsavo.  I am planning to watch a movie about them soon.  Or maybe read the book.....haven't decided yet!  :)

 Friday we also made a little visit to the Willis Tower (formerly the Sear's Tower).  I told you, we bought the Citipass, so I forced the kids to do everything touristy in Chicago!
 Before we went up, we were warned that the visibility was 0 and that there were no guarantees on when it might clear up.  We went up anyhow, after all, Jim had squeezed the van of doom into a 2 inch parking space in a garage and we had already paid the unreasonably high parking fee.  In my opinion, it worked out good.  I can now brag that I did step out on the glass sky deck and so did the whole family.  I am relatively certain, with my tremendous fear of heights, I would never have been on that deck had I been able to see down!  Cam was a little disappointed, because this was the thing he wanted to do the most.  Colin said it was plenty scary just as it was! 



 We spent Friday evening at the Navy Pier.  The kids loved this.  Of course they did, there was nothing to read, nothing to learn about, and a carnival like atmosphere!  Some of us (as mentioned above) are not fond of heights, so Jim rode the tremendously tall Ferris wheel with the kids.  They thought it was absolutely awesome!  I am happy to take their word for it!






We ate dinner at Bubba Gump Shrimp.  The food was good.  I will go on record and say that we will probably never go back there to eat again because the memories it brings up are not good ones.  Enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment