Tuesday, April 5, 2016

A most successful day

Yesterday, I had a pretty rotten day.  It involved drama at work, a blow out, a broken jack, a crockpot that was turned on but not plugged in, and more.  By the time I finally got home from parent teacher conferences and then 4-H with the kids, and had a chance to sit down I felt like I was drug behind a car by my teeth for a few miles.  I had to stay up to wait for Cameron who was at a State FBLA conference.  I collapsed into a chair with the tv tuned to nonsense and the house was all quiet.  That's when I heard noise.  It sounded a lot like baby chickens.  
I got very excited and ran to the incubator to find eggs pipping.  Being the inexperienced chicken hatcher that I am, I flew downstairs and woke up Quincy.  After all, one should be present for the birth of their babies.  Except it was about 11:30 and Quincy was not at all interested in getting up out of bed.  She is obviously too young for this motherhood gig!  Little did I know, that from the time you see pipping, it can take  a long time to see chickens.  Like 15 hours in our case!  
I had to make a quick run to town when I got off work this afternoon, but I came home to this little cutie!  I call her Shelly! 
About an hour later, three more hatched almost at the same time.  I had to leave to go to Colin's ballgame, but got updates from Madison and Quincy throughout the evening!  There are now 6 babies.  There is one egg that is cracked through and 2 more pipping. Since we got some of the eggs from Quincy's friend, Landrie is taking half of whatever hatches. She will be here tomorrow to collect some sweet little cuties.  
I did learn a couple of things.  
1.  Hatching eggs are sort of creepy.  They roll around and cheep.  
2.  Hatching from an egg is almost equally as much work and equal in length to a more traditional type of birth. 
3.   Baby chickens need a few hours to become cute and fluffy.  
4.  It is very tempting when watching chicks struggle out of their shell to peel them out like a hard boiled egg, but it could result in the chicken not making it.  
5.  If Quincy ever has kids, her husband is going to have to do the night feedings. 

Colin had a double header tonight against Royal Valley.  They won the first game and lost the second.  
Both were pretty good games.  Colin had a really nice double and had some other great at bats.  He also made some serious plays in left field.  
And happily, children come washable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment