Sunday, February 26, 2017

Kidwatch 2017




Preston, Quincy and I got all of the does into the kidding pens today. Honestly, we might be just a tad early as none of them seem overly miserable yet, but they are getting close and I didn't want to risk not having them penned up and safe from critters.




Buttee seemed to think this meant she should be getting extra food.




Goats make me laugh. They are always happy to see you. They remind me of giant goofy dogs.






The girls got some gift cards to the hatchery from Grandma Chris and Grandpa Ken for Christmas. We have started looking for 4-H projects and are thinking about placing the order. One thing Quincy would like to do is get a peacock to keep her pea hen (Harriet) company. Harriet is sort of tame. She doesn't exactly run from you, but she also won't eat out of your hand. We really enjoy her! I especially appreciate that she swoops in and cleans up any accidental spills!




The first chicken that Quincy hatched was this black rooster. He is really pretty, but is starting to get a little big for his britches and I am starting to worry about the level of aggression he has. So far, he has not gone after anyone but he seems like he thinks about it. I took some pictures so we could maybe give him away. She doesn't seem upset with this idea! I think she sees his cocky attitude and remembers the last nasty boy we had!




The girls are really starting to lay! Quincy has been getting over a dozen eggs a day. Luckily, we all like eating eggs! Today I made breakfast burritos and put them in the freezer, and we also had hard boiled eggs for lunch and deviled eggs with dinner! I am taking all of this as signs that spring is here!



1 comment: