It has been one year since my brother passed away.
One year of life without him.
Holidays and birthdays and family gatherings....all with a shadow of loss over them.
I miss him. My family misses him. I know Clayton misses him because we talked about it yesterday.
And so does everyone else he ever met because there was just nobody like him.
The funny stories. The tales of misfortune. The insane ideas. The horrible jokes.
The cracking a cold one and telling you something that seemed like it couldn't possibly have really happened, but then you realize who is telling you and you believe it, because he might have made the story telling funny, but he didn't lie about it. The silly giggle.
I miss all of that. But the thing I miss the most is his generosity with his time.
Eric was never too busy to help you. If you were moving, he would show up with a truck and stay until the job was done. If you broke down, or ran out of gas, or needed hauled off the turnpike on a flat bed trailer, he was there. If you invited him over, he would always show up. Kids showing goats? He was there. Needed some animal hauled someplace? He would come over. People just aren't like that. I know he had his own kid to take care of, and his own stuff to do, but he just never said no.
I wish I could be more like him. I wish the world was more like him.
I will forever miss him.
I hope I get to see him again one day.





No comments:
Post a Comment