Friday, October 14, 2011

A week I will always remember, but would sooner forget!

This has been a bit of a tough week. My grandpa Carl passed away on Wednesday morning. He had been very sick, battling cancer and his heart was not in too good of shape either. We had been to see him last weekend, and knew that it was likely the last time I would get to see him this side of heaven. I have tons of great memories of my grandpa, mostly of his awful, terrible puns and jokes that made every one groan except him! He also was always, always willing to read you a bed time story, or 10! And he liked to take us fishing, and I once caught a shark! Or at least, to my 5 year old mind, it seemed like a shark! I am sure we will all miss him!

Later on Wednesday, our neighbor Bev's husband also passed away. Never in my life have two people we were close to passed on the same day! Randy had also been sick, and I had taken the kids over to see him on Sunday because we were worried about them having a chance to say goodbye to him. I don't know how we could have had better neighbors than they are! Randy once helped me carry in and hook up a new washing machine while Jim was at work. He then teased Jim - 'I figured I could help her hook up that washer, or help her bury your body, and you are a big guy - so digging a hole for you seemed harder!' It really made me laugh! He was also very appreciative of all the critters my kids catch. He never once got mad at them for dragging over snakes, lizards, and whatever else.....always made them think they had caught something cool! We are really going to miss him too!


In addition to all the losses, I also had a mouse in my office. I don't like to admit that I have any phobias, but I am definitely terrified of rodents! I was on the phone with a man from the state who is helping me on a huge project at work.....a man that I desperately need help from, and who I need to think I am relatively intelligent! The mouse came out and stared at me....and I screamed - in the man's ear. He was absolutely confused as to why telling me I needed a permit for a construction job would cause me to scream! I explained to him that I am terrified of mice and he laughed and hung up! I then called right up the street to Jim's office and by then I was crying! I said to Jim - Please come down here - but before I could tell him why he came busting through the door! My husband definitely loves me - when he thinks I am in danger he can flat out move! By then I was standing across the room crying and holding Harper so the mouse wouldn't get her! Jim tried really hard to kill the mouse - but he got away. I am now on full guard at work, because my traps and poison have not seemed to work! He's still in there someplace! If he doesn't get caught soon, paranoia may force me to relocate my office! Or get an office cat?


Today was my birthday. The kids helped me clean up and made me a very nice dinner. It was a low-key day, which I always appreciate! I did have one mishap when I ran over Zodiac (the kitten). Luckily, I only hit her foot, and did not kill her. Her foot is a little tender, but she does seem to be walking on it now. Poor cat, I felt so bad, but I do have to wonder about her life expectancy if she sits under the van and doesn't run when I am backing up!

No comments:

Post a Comment