Sunday, July 22, 2012

Calm before the final storm

 We enjoyed a mostly relaxed weekend before the final round of baseball tournaments coming up this week.  I say mostly relaxed because on Friday night around midnight, we got a call from "officer Q" stating that he needed to talk to Jim.  I didn't panic because I knew all our kids were at home!!  There was another water line break.  Jim had to go find the maintenance man, and figure out a plan of action.  He then got up very early Saturday morning to help get everything set up for the fix.  They were successful, but it did take a good chunk of the day.
 While he was doing all that, I took Mallory to her interview for Queen of 4-H.  She is very honored to have been nominated, and where I am not sure how she will do, I am very proud of her for giving it a try!  We will find out who is crowned at the Overbrook fair in a couple of weeks.
 We also had a nice time meeting with Jim's parents, and an uncle and cousin who were in from out of town.  The kids had a great time spending all of Uncle Ray's money in the game room at Cici's pizza, and we are now the proud owners of several very fancy necklaces!  It was fun to visit with them too!
 I have been making apple butter, and Mallory made a batch of salsa all from other people's gardening efforts.  I have found a great recipe for apple butter that goes in the crock pot, it is easy and most of the work happens while I am doing other things, which is super exciting to me.  Plus, it makes the house smell really good! 
 The little girls never seem to grow tired of spending time at the pool.  Ever.  The older kids can take it or leave it, but Harper and Quincy think it is a mandatory place to go on a daily basis.  Preston usually wants to go too, but he spent most of the afternoon swimming at a friend's house, so he was done for the day!  Quincy is getting to be a pretty confident swimmer, although we haven't convinced her to go off the diving board this year, which is really bothersome to Colin.  She went off all the time last year, but toward the end of the season, had a little mishap.  She jumped off the side into a ring, and she missed.  She really did not come close to drowning, because Colin was standing right there, but it scared her enough to have some healthy respect for the water!  Maybe not a bad thing??
This will be the last week for lining fields, concession stand running, and the ball season for Colin and Cameron's team.  I don't think I will be shedding any tears when next weekend is here!  It has been a real adventure, and I think it will be a good memory, but I am ready for an earlier bedtime, and fewer things to worry about.

No comments:

Post a Comment