Thursday, December 20, 2012

Snow Day!

 The kids were very excited about having the first snow day in a very long time!  They did not miss a single day of school last year for snow, so this was a great day!  I am going to go on record here and say that I love Quincy's teacher!  Quincy's first grade class was scheduled to go to Kansas City to Union Station and to Kaleidoscope today.  She has been completely squirmy with excitement about the trip for a couple of weeks now.  I was so worried this morning when I had to tell her there was no school, and thus, no field trip.  She said "that's ok mom Mrs. Carroll says that the trip will be rescheduled and that we should always, ALWAYS celebrate a snow day!"  God bless Mrs. Carroll for having the foresight to explain the trip would be rescheduled!!   
 I also have to share that Harper did not remember snow.  I know it didn't snow much last year, and she was so little the year before.  She got up this morning and said "what is it?"  followed by "can we touch it?"  The kids could not wait to go out!  It was so cold and blowing when Jim and I left for work, I told them they had to wait until I got home, hoping it would be a bit nicer.  They could not wait to get outside!  I tried to explain to Harper to stay where the drifts were not. 
 She didn't listen to me.  She lasted exactly 18 seconds outside, and then proclaimed her hatred for snow and spent the rest of the afternoon inside cooking with me! 
 The boys, however, spent quite a bit of time at the city lake perfecting their snowboarding skills on the back side of the dam.  There were over there for a very long time, until I made Mallory go over and force them to come home!  Frostbite does not feel good! 


 I am not much on outdoor winter activities, but I do love to bake on snow days.  While in the kitchen today, I had a lot of help!  We made a batch of grandma's wonderful melt in your mouth cinnamon rolls, and enough vegetable soup to feed an army.  I had to explain to Jim that I had clearly lost my mind, and that I hope he feels like eating soup for the rest of the weekend!  :) 
 We did some crafts and watched sappy movies on tv.  We also finished writing letters to Santa, and making out wish lists for mom and dad, who will be doing Christmas shopping tomorrow night -- I told Jim we should wait to see if the Mayans are correct -- if the world ends I don't want to spend my final days shopping! 

 It was a perfect day for Mallory's new phone to finally arrive.  Plenty of time for programming!
Whereas I don't much care for cold weather, and I would sooner not hang out in layers of clothes playing in snow, I do love a good snow day!  I think Saige had a great time having the kids home too, although it was exhausting for her!

No comments:

Post a Comment