Monday, January 13, 2014

Cam's first game

 Cameron's 8th grade team played their first game tonight at Perry-Lecompton.  Mallory took these photos with her iphone, and I thought they were pretty good.  She even got a photo of Cam when he was shooting, and he did  make the basket.  Cameron's team has a long, long way to go to improve.  It was a painful game to watch.  Painful in more ways than one.
Cameron drove into the lane for a lay-up and got fouled.  He ended up smacking the back of his head on the floor.  His coach pulled him out and did a concussion check, which he said Cam failed.  And so, they had me come over to look at him and talk to the coach.  I could tell that Cam was really mad because they let another kid take his foul shots, and that what they were calling disorientation was actually anger, but they would not listen to me.  The principal finally decided that Cameron could not play any more until he was cleared by a doctor.  I understand the new concussion laws.  I do.  I understand why they put them in place, and I even respect them for doing so, but that being said, I also know my kid.  I knew he did not have any symptoms of a concussion.  Needless to say, the mother's opinion does not count.  So we drove into Lawrence to the ER because it was close by.  I have never been impressed with Lawrence hospital.  To say that I am more upset after going there is an understatement.  They assessed him, asked me a million questions, asked him a million questions, made sure they had all my billing information and then kind of dismissed us saying he has no symptoms of a concussion, therefore we do not want to scan him unnecessarily.  OK that is fine.  Next thing they tell me is that they will not release him to play sports again because his primary doctor has to do that and since she is a Topeka doctor, they can't help me.  SERIOUSLY?  So you won't scan him, you don't think there is anything wrong with him, you feel safe enough in your diagnosis to let him go home, but you also won't release him?  If I was the Incredible Hulk I would have been ripping my shirt off and slamming some people.  Unfortunately, I do not possess any super powers, so we will now be wasting another trip to town to see our pediatrician so that they can tell me again that there is nothing wrong with him....that he has absolutely no symptoms of a concussion.  Thank you.  Not to say that I don't feel extremely lucky and blessed that he was not hurt....I just wish that we could have resolved this in the 2 hours we already spent at the hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment