Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Exotic critters

Saturday, after the girls got back from their flying time, Dusty and I drove them over to Clay Center and went to the Exotic Animal Auction they have twice a year.  We went there with the intent of buying a hedge hog, and a water buffalo calf (although Jim did not seem overly excited by the idea)  We also thought it would be fun to see how much a zebra, a camel, and various other stuff sold for.  I even bid for a few minutes on a porcupine, but was quickly outbid by the Clay Center zoo!  Jim would have LOVED that!  (Have I mentioned that I love going to the auction, bidding, the freak show of people - I love all of it!)




The place was an absolute zoo.  Literally and figuratively.  I have never seen so many people packed into such a small place.  There were no available seats when we got there.  We had to send Harper to squat in the back to tell us when to cram in to bid on the things we wanted.  She was a good watch out girl!  

After the small animals sold, the place opened up a little bit and we were able to find seats.  I got a kick out of the "36 month old long horn steers" uhhhh they are 3.  Should have been in someone's freezer long ago.  A lady bought them for roughly $1500 each.  I have too much of my father in me.  The same lady also bought a zebra and a camel.  I am not sure what her plans were.  Her husband/boyfriend sat there laughing at her.  She is a very expensive date!  


We were not successful in getting a hedgehog, and the water buffalo calf was a lot bigger (and more expensive) than I thought, so we ended up with 2 canaries and 4 parakeets.  The girls were so excited!  Jim seemed very relieved when we got home!  

Since we were close, we stopped by and had dinner with Cameron.  He also wanted to take the girls to the top of Manhattan hill.  We were sorry that Colin was at work, and we missed him!  It was a really fun day!



On Sunday, Quincy's 4-H Wildlife group participated in a bird banding day.  She was pretty happy.  They banded a lot of birds, and she got to release this one - some sort of sparrow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment