Wednesday, October 16, 2019

it was just time



A few years ago, my grandparents both passed away, and we inherited their Buick.  At the time it was truly a Godsend, and we were so thankful to have a good vehicle.  It truly saved us at a time when things were financially strapped.  Since we moved to the country, Jim has been wanting to buy a truck.  One thing after another has happened where we have had to purchase other things, and the truck kept taking a backseat.  We have used the Buick as a truck, and I have giggled to myself, because if you knew my Grandpa Carl at all, you would know he would NEVER have approved of the things we have done in his car!  Things like hauling goats, dragging branches, teaching children to drive, allowing children to drive it around the property, hauling chickens to and from swap meets, and once I even backed into it with the bus.  He probably rolled over a few dozen times.  My grandpa was meticulous about his car.  A few times I even think I heard his voice yelling "no" in my head!  We have truly gotten a million dollars of use out of it.  Maybe not Carl approved use, but it has been a great vehicle, and I am still very thankful for it.  I am not a person who holds on to items for sentimental reasons.  I tend to carry the memories in my heart, and know that they are safe there.  That being said, I was not really excited about trading off the Buick, even when I knew it wasn't running well.  Finally, last week, Jim had Andrew give it a thorough examination, and Andrew sat me down and gently told me that the car was done.  It was missing a few parts, and had some damage that was going to be super expensive to fix.  I didn't truly understand the mechanical aspects, but I trust Andrew as a mechanic, so I agreed that it was time.   Jim took this news and ran with it.  He had grand plans!  He even did the truck shopping without me having to get drug around, which I sincerely appreciated.  He settled on a truck he loved, and even got the financing started.  All I had to do was go sign some papers and drive away.  He even let me drive his new truck home!  Such a generous man!  He is so excited.  I truly don't think he has ever been more excited when we bought something before.  I couldn' deny him his truck when I saw the smile on his face.  So we now have the truck Jim has been wanting, and I figure it is a good step, since I am planning a trip to an auction this weekend! (No fear Jim - I can no longer afford to buy anything at the auction!).


One of the reasons we had to buy a new vehicle....ya just can't haul a baby in a car that will give them shaken baby syndrome!  :)  

Our lives are just the normal ridiculousness.  As I was on the phone trying to get insurance for the new truck, the bird was screaming.  Harper decided he would stop if she got him out of his cage and played with him.  This lead to Harper screaming/laughing as he was sitting on her back biting her.  If the kids yell "ouch" or "that hurts" he laughs his crazy Halloween laugh.  Then everyone laughs.  Sure does make it hard to know what type of insurance I just purchased!  :)   


No comments:

Post a Comment