Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Farm tour weekend

This weekend, like all weekends looked to be a little wild.  Jim had KSU tickets with Jay, we had to work at the Ottawa demolition derby, and we wanted to go on the Kaw Valley Farm tour.  Rain ruined the Ottawa derby, and made going on the farm tour not look to be quite as much fun.  We were not overly sad about not working the demolition derby, although we should have been because that was a pretty big hit to the fundraising for Preston's CWF trip.  I guess he better get busy selling more Christmas wreaths!  :)  
Jim and Jay had a great time at the game, and even had dinner with Cameron and their friend Barbara. We decided to try to go to a fewer number of farms on Sunday and skipped the rainy touring.

The girls and I loaded up the car with Dusty and a couple of her kids and picked out 5 farms from the tour that we thought would be the most fun.  We weren't disappointed!  I love the farm tour!  



The kids had a great time too!  Dusty and I were amused that one of the highlights was playing in the corn crib!  Who knows what kids will like!  

Harper was actually having a really fun day, but she was not happy because Dusty and I were mistaken as a couple and the other kids thought it was hilarious.  Harper was not amused.  She didn't like them referring to us as "hey moms."  Live a little Harper....it was funny!




One thing that we did laugh about - one farm boasted a "corn maze" and the kids were excited.  The maze was most definitely not corn....but they had mowed a path through some tall weeds and reed grasses.  They had fun running on the paths in the maze anyway.  We enjoyed the music at this farm too, it was just one guy singing and playing a guitar....and he was actually very good.




I told the kids we were going to try something new.  Nobody liked my idea of trying a sheep cheese frittata, so we tried the fried green tomatoes instead.  As foods go, this was definitely not my favorite.  They were ok, but I think next time I am getting the sheep cheese!  :)  

The kids did not like them at all.  As a matter of fact, I saw them throwing theirs to the chickens!  



It was a good day and we had a lot of fun, saw a lot of things, got some ideas for how to do a few things at home, and even tried something new.  I love the Kaw Valley Farm Tour!

This week is National 4-H week.  The 4-H clubs have all been asked to participate in a community service project to celebrate.  I challenged our kids to doing something new, and they did not disappoint me.  They came up with the idea of donating cake making supplies to the local food pantry (one of the kids said that they get requests for birthday cakes frequently but that they rarely have cake mixes to give to people).  Our club collected over 40 cake mixes, several tubs of frosting, and several brownie mixes, and some other party type supplies.  I thought it was a great idea!  They are also having a coat drive, and have already collected enough coats to fill up one of the leader's trunks.  I am proud of my group! 

No comments:

Post a Comment