Sunday, February 23, 2020

Weekend of running










When I looked at the calendar this weekend, I was happy that we didn’t have much going on.   what I didn’t know was that there just wasn’t much that I wrote down.  
Preston had a game in Wellsville on Friday evening. Jim and I went over to watch.  He played really well.   He takes all the errors for the team on his own shoulders.   You won’t find a kid who is harder in themself on the court I don’t feel like.  He constantly wants to get better, which is good I guess.   His team lost.  But we are proud of him.  Basketball season is long.  The freshman team has 2 games left, and then he will be finished for this year.   At least for now. 
  
Saturday, I went to a funeral for my friend’s grandpa.  My friend lived with her grandparents when we were growing up.  I spent a lot of hours at their house.  When the priest asked if anyone had any stories they wanted to share, I had a lot, but didn’t share.  Most of them were things like one Saturday morning we came into their kitchen.  Ron was sitting there eating breakfast in his underwear.  Alma (the grandma) said “go put pants on....we have company!” Ron looked up from his bowl of cereal, pointed at me and said “she’s here more than I am, she isn’t company.”   He did not go put pants on either.   I also remember Adreinne asking him if he thought there would be flying cars in our lifetime.  He said he didn’t know, but he hoped there would be self driving cars because there were so many stupid drivers on the road.  It made me laugh.  He used to yell “drive on fool, hell ain’t half full” at all the people who passed him.  Her grandma also yelled this at people.   They were pretty funny.   I once climbed a tree at their house, and that is how I discovered I have a fear of heights/falling.   Ron told me he wouldn’t leave me alone, but he wouldn’t help me down either, because it was good to figure things out on your own.  I got down.  I didn’t climb any more trees in my life.  Swimming pool time, horseback riding, knife throwing lessons, eating southern food, being allowed to drive down the road in the mower, ping pong tournaments, movies nights.   So many memories.  Such good times, I was lucky to be included in their family.   Lifelong friends are such a blessing.  
While I was at the funeral, Jim took Saige to her basketball game.  Saige said she had a good time, but was more excited because daddy took her and Harper to Dairy Queen afterwards for cherry dipped cones.  
Today isn’t better in the busy department.  I am happy because the people we have been pet/house sitting for come home today, this is the last model meeting practice, basketball is winding down, and we are starting to gear up for a few new things.   Always moving forward, and always ready for a new chapter.   

No comments:

Post a Comment