Monday, May 18, 2020

Critters
















Last weekend, my friend texted.  A friend of hers  has a son who is going into the military and they were looking to rehome his bearded dragon.  I’m not sure if I blogged about it, but PJ passed away last winter.  I think the average lifespan is around 10 years old and she was about that old.   The kids were really sad.  These creatures are sweet, friendly, curious, and like being held.  They don’t bite or ever seem to act aggressively.  Once in a while if you startle them, they puff out a beard, but it is rare.  Anyway, we jumped at the chance to have another one.  This is Diablo. He is 3 years old.  We are already in love with him.  He is super fast, super friendly and seemed to take a real shining to Jim.  He was chilling out on the couch, crawled onto Jim’s lap and took a nap.  So cute!  

Bringing him home, Preston once again told me I may have an addiction to bringing home critters.  He’s probably not wrong, but I promise they are all loved and well fed.  Diablo wasn’t the only animal we brought home today.  We stopped at the pet store on the way home for meal worms and parrot food.  I let Quincy and Harper go into the pet store with me (wearing masks -and practicing social distancing of course).  This lead to bringing home more fish.  3 Molly’s and a Cory cat that Jim named weezer.  
Saige decided she was going to take pet pictures.  She’s not too bad of a photographer either i must say!    

She didn’t capture them all, but pretty close!   She lacks a photo of the hedge hog.  Honestly, that thing has not been the best pet we ever brought home.  She isn’t friendly at all, and she Really just like rolling up in her fleece blanket and sleeping.  But Quincy loves her so she can stay!  
We also had a little accident with the parakeets a few days back. Somehow the cat had a snack.  At least that is what we think happened.   They are missing.   
I mentioned a few days back that because of the pandemic, I have allowed a few things that I wouldn’t have before.  One example of this is pictured above.  Quincy’s rooster, Barry is beautiful but mean.  The little girls won’t go in to gather the eggs and when Quincy goes in she takes an old ball bat.  Normally I would have put him in a soup pot.  But, when we ordered broilers a few weeks ago, there were big shortages of chickens.   We managed to get chicks but a full 6 weeks later than I would have liked them.   I have a fear that I may need to hatch out some eggs and We cannot do that if We don’t have a rooster.  That is why he is still here. The only reason.   

In addition to picking up dragons, and taking pictures we also planted more stuff in our gardens.  We now have 6 varieties of tomatoes, peppers, jalapeños, zucchini, crooked neck squash, yellow squash, cucumbers and spaghetti squash planted.  We only stopped because we ran out of room.  Tomorrow we will use the tiller to plow up a little bit more so we can plant a few more things.   The girls are a ton of help and love gardening.  Harper and Saige were helping me pull weeds too.  Harper told Saige to watch for snakes.  Next thing we knew, she came out in a “snake proof weeding outfit.”  She worked really hard, so whatever.  

After we worked on the gardens, mowed, and did a bunch of other stuff outside, Quincy asked if we could go for a drive with the windows down.   Jim said sure and threw her the keys.  She’s not too bad of a driver, she even has the Ollie stamp of approval.  

It was a fabulous day which I enjoyed.  We did learn that Overbrook has its first case of Covid 19.  We knew it was probably coming, but we hoped it would skip our town.  I hope we can make it a one and done.  


No comments:

Post a Comment