Sunday, May 17, 2020

Quincy’s 8th grade coronation






As we all know, Quincy has missed a few more things than the other kids just because of the grade she was in.  Her graduation was cancelled, track season cancelled, 8th grade class trip to Worlds of Fun cancelled.  She hasn’t really complained at all, but she did ask if we could still have a little family dinner with cake.  Not just any cake though. She wanted a grandma made cake.  
Tonight we had a little graduation party to honor her.   Grandma did not disappoint her!   She let me take some silly pictures of her with her Corona supplies and allowed us to call her Quarantina for the night.  
Madison made her a giant cookie too!   It wasn’t the same as the other kids 8th grade graduation, but I bet she never forgets it!  

Thanks grandma!!  Happy kid right here!  

Someone decided she can walk.  I think she just wants to keep up with her aunties.  She also really, really likes cake!  

Other things from this day.  We attended mass for the first time in over 2 months.  It was not a decision we made lightly.  We miss church.  We miss our normal, busy, active as heck life.  We wanted to go.  On the other hand the number of cases of Covid 19 keep rising.  The death toll keeps rising.  The news is never very promising. But I had a couple of reasons for plunging forward.  First, we simply cannot stay in lock down forever.  Life has to go on.  There likely won’t be a vaccine for at least another year, and with them fast tracking everything, I don’t know that I feel safe injecting myself or our kids with it.  Second, I think that they will at least try to reopen schools in the fall, and I think that they will want the kids to practice social distancing, and maybe wear masks.  The sooner we start training than to deal with these things, the easier it will be for them when things open.  Learning to wear a mask is hard!   I was hot, it is weird to breathe, and somewhat awkward.  Did I wear it anyway?  Yes.  Did the kids?   Yes.  They did complain a little.  For Preston it was vanity.   Quincy said she felt like it was too hot.  And Harper said it fogged her glasses.  All small prices to pay if it actually might help stop the spread.    Saige got a mask with dogs on it from a lady at Jim’s work.  She didn’t complain at all.  
I also attended my first ever Zoom graduation party!   I feel sorry for the class of 2020, but I will say I liked the zoom party and the video more than I ever have enjoyed sitting in a crowded gym!   

No comments:

Post a Comment