Friday, April 7, 2023

Good Friday









Happy gotcha day to our Blitz girl.  She is the one who made us all into “dog people.”   She’s the best girl.  We got Blitz 8 years ago as an Easter gift for the kids.  In that time, she has become my best girl.  She’s my favorite dog ever.  (Don’t tell Ollie or Carlos).  Truly, the only reason Ollie and Carlos are here is because she made us think differently about dogs.  I grew up on a farm.  My dad is still a farmer to this day.  On my dad’s farm, you were allowed to have animals of course, but they must have a job. We had dogs.  My father is a breed snob.  No dog was allowed unless it was an Aussie.  The dog’s job was to herd cattle, and protect the yard from pests and predators.  Some did their jobs better than others for sure!   At one point, my brother brought home a Dalmatian. That dog was supposed to have puppies and make him money. The story of how that worked out is long….And didn’t end well.   Anyway, in my childhood that is how it went.  In my adulthood, I realized that where dad may have had a point, he missed the best part of dog ownership. Yes we bought Border Collies, and yes I did it because I wanted them to guard the livestock, help me move them when necessary and guard the yard.  Eight years later and I think I can safely say the only guarding they are doing is the couch, and although Blitz does dig huge holes in our yard to get the moles, the only one killing moles is Carlos.  They are not working dogs.  They are an amazing part of our family though.  I like having them around.  I like that they are smart (the borders are anyway).  I like that they love snacks and will do almost anything to earn one.  I’m glad I changed my mind about them needing a job.  
On a related note, a funny story.   Last night, Preston came home from work, and looked around. Jim was sitting with Carlos on his lap, Blitz at his feet.   Quincy was curled up on the couch with Jewwy the cat.   Ollie was on the couch with between Harper and Saige.  I was sitting in the recliner with Mr. Mackey on my lap.  Preston looks around and said “remember when we got Blitz and you guys said she had to be an outside dog?  That she could only come in occasionally and only if we were diligent about watching her?   Now I come home, all 3 dogs are sleeping inside, and mom is holding a barn animal like a baby?   You guys have gone soft and insane!”   Jim looked at me and we both sort of laughed.  We might have both had a change of heart regarding animals inside the house.  I think we are lucky to have such a privilege!  

Lauren sent this picture.  I’m not sure what they were up to, but I sure do miss them both!  It’s too good of a photo not to save!   

Evelyn is on full blown Easter holiday high.  She jumped off the bus (with her eyes closed) and was comping at the bit to show me the eggs she found at her class egg hunt.  She also made bunny ears and ate cupcakes.  She is at such a fun age.  
We attended mass for Holy Thursday.  I couldn’t help but remember that I met Jim on Holy Thursday a couple years back.  The karaoke the night we met was a lot better than the music at the Baldwin church last night.  They got a little wild in the opera singing for my taste.   This evening, we attended Good Friday service.  It was nice that it was in the late afternoon, so I had time to get there and still go to Topeka for shopping and dinner with my boy.  The kids did a good job of carrying the Easter flowers in and helping auntie Karen set the alter for Easter.  It all looks very nice.  
Jim and I ate at chipotle.  Jim said he was sitting in about the same place he used to eat dinner when he was a little boy (the Chipotle is built on the lot where his house was when he was small).  We had never tried chipotle before.  I’m on record that it was a first and a last.  That place is gross.  If the bland, overpriced food didn’t do it, the extremely dirty restaurant would have.  I was completely grossed out when I saw a couple of kids washing their hands (literally) in the water part of the soda fountain.  I make burrito bowls at home regularly. I don’t proclaim to be the world’s greatest cook, but I’d rather eat my own cooking in this case.  It was still nice to have a little time to hang out with Jim.  He and I try hard to get away for a couple of hours a couple times a month, but I’m not sure we had been successful for a while.  Nice to have uninterrupted time.  


We managed to get the groceries, the Easter stuff, and get home in time to do a few things around the house.  I’m happy the kids had the day off today, and helped me accomplish so much!   It truly was a Good Friday.  

No comments:

Post a Comment