Saturday, April 15, 2023

Prom night

















It is prom night on the trail.   Preston’s senior prom.  About 8 weeks ago, I sat Preston and Quincy both down. I asked are you going to prom?  Because if so, we need to get busy finding clothes for it.  Both adamantly said heck no!  Spring break rolls around.  Quincy approaches me with “I changed my mind and a bunch of my friends are going, so I want to go.” Fine we will go shopping.  Preston?  Have you changed your mind?  It is your senior prom?   No. Prom is dumb…. Never again!   So Q and I went shopping without him.  Two 2! Weeks ago, Preston comes home (he gets out of school at 1 this semester), he is in a terrible mood.  He tells me his friends caved and are all now going to prom.  He doesn’t want to go. I said so don’t go!   He said well now that all my friends are going, I HAVE to go.  Needless to say I argued with his logic.  Finally, giving up, I said well if you’re going it is on the 15th we need to find you clothes like today!  Light shines in his eyes - “how sure are you of the date?”   Geez kid for 30 years I have been keeping the people in this house straight on what happens - I am 100% sure.  I see him withdraw his phone from his pocket and send off a text.  Who to?  Well his friend Liv who will know for sure.  (Grrr). Liv confirmed I know what I’m talking about.  Sheer glee comes from this kid -“ I don’t have to go to prom mom!  I have a concert ticket and a date to spend a whole day with Colin in Wichita that day!  Oh thanks be to Jesus above I don’t HAVE to go to prom.”  This is where I rolled my eyes so far back in my head they got stuck there, and  I had to smack myself to get them back in place.  Preston left late morning to go spend the day with cousin Gavin and Colin.  They went to a Wind Surge game   - the first 1000 people got a free jersey.  They went to a Koe Wetzel concert. I’m glad Preston didn’t “have” to go to prom! 

Quincy had to work the morning shift.  She came home where Mallory was waiting to do her nails, and I was waiting to do her hair.  If you know my Q at all, you know is this was pure torture for her.  After a little bit she started in with “mom did you ever make plans and then when it was time to go, you wish you could stay home instead?”   Uhhh yes child!  That is my daily life. I told her sorry kid, these plans cost me a day of shopping - you’re going!   
She rarely gets cleaned up all fancy, and when she does I always notice how truly beautiful she is.  

Of course. Anything with Quincy always has to be in the weird zone.  

The zone of everyone cracking up. 

The zone of making fun of everyone (herself included)….!

The zone of fake kissing your friends.  

The zone of awkward posing.  

The zone of a sister who gently nags until she gets photos that are good!  

The zone of me telling her to quit grabbing herself!   Her response was “you’re the one who told me I didn’t need a bra!”  

The zone of making everyone crack up.  

But also a zone of pure love!  This is the kid that the good Lord sent us to show that we had no actual idea what we’re doing.  The child who sometimes makes us laugh until we cry.   The child who would rescue any animal or help any person. Particularly if she thinks you’re suffering or in trouble. She has a heart for helping others. I hope she had fun at prom, although it started at 8 and at 8:15 she called to say “mom this is really dumb and boring - we are going to the movies and then the after prom party.  I
Might have been able to predict that one!  

No comments:

Post a Comment