Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Little bit of us









Every single day for the last 2 weeks, Evie has gotten off the bus with her eyes closed and she tells us she is blind. Now I know she doesn’t have them fully closed, because she isn’t tripping or falling, but it is still hilarious.  I think it might be annoying her bus driver, as she tells her every day to open her eyes and be careful.  She is seriously one of the funniest kids I have ever met.  We have to walk a block or so back to my office. Every day, she tells me she wants me to print her out some kind of coloring sheet.  No problem.  She spends time coloring while I finish my work.  She’s very well behaved.  Yesterday, her request was to color a bowl of cereal.   I told her “boy kiddo I’m not sure if I can find that one!”   I was pleasantly surprised at what I could find on the free coloring pages website!   They have it all I guess!   Evie has also been helping us feed the goats.  I know you may be thinking ‘I’m sure a 4 year old is a TON of help!’ But hear me out.  We have one goat who is older/bigger/stronger than the rest. I have been letting him out of the pen, Evelyn feeds him while we feed the others, and then when he is done, she runs with the bottle in her hands and he runs behind her- wanting more to eat!  It wears him out and keeps him entertained.  Truly is amazingly helpful!   

Last night, Jim came home and said he wasn’t feeling well. He ate some dinner and went to bed early.  The girls and I finished the dishes, ran out to feed goats, and put up the bus windows.  Saige jumped in the tub, and when she came out, she reported that she forgot something in the car.  She ran out to get it, and about 30 seconds later I heard the most blood curdling scream I have ever heard.  Sure she was being attacked by a mountain lion, or something of that nature, I rushed outside to find - a 6 inch long ring neck snake.  I had to laugh as she was in a full blown panic.  
I am not sure why she is so afraid of a little tiny harmless snake, but I did text an apology to our neighbors because I was sure she woke them up!   

Evie rides my bus to school with Harper and Saige.  She then gets off and waits with a para  for a different bus to take her to pre-k.  This morning, rather than going inside the building, they walked over to the playground.  She was holding hands with her friends and laughing and looking like a big kid.  I had to take a picture.  She’s growing up too fast!  I love that we get to be part of her childhood.  

Preston has been working hard to get the goats to utilize the bottle holder he built.  So far, we have one who is smart enough to use it!   Goats are for sure not the smartest creatures. 

But they sure are cute!   Mr. Mackey is spending days in the barn, and nights in the house.  I’m sure he would be ok outside, but Kansas weather is weird and I have invested enough time and energy and money that I don’t want to chance him getting cold and having a big setback.  He has gotten where he hates being in his box - and cries a lot louder than he used to!   I’m extremely happy with his progress.  Still a bit weak, but mostly all better!   He may never walk quite right, but I am glad he is alive.  


More turtle stories - Preston went out for dinner with his friends last night.  I asked him if he could stop at the pet store and get a few feeder fish for the turtle tank.  He brought home 15 goldfish.  As we were floating the bag, the Undertaker  grabbed the bag and took it under the water!  As soon as we let the fish go, the turtles ate 3!   We knew it was a possibility, but I was hopeful that we had a good amount of holes for them to hide.   There are 11 fish tonight.  I love how they have added to the habitat!   Fun to watch!   They should grow pretty fast and the turtles will lose interest.  Or at least that is what they tell me in YouTube.  
Enough updates for today.  Bed is calling!  

No comments:

Post a Comment