Sunday, June 4, 2023

A very good weekend

















Evie (and coach Andrew) had a T-ball game yesterday.  She has been so excited about it all week.  Telling me this year she would run to base and NOT walk because she is big now.  Also telling me she got a brand new shirt/hat to wear.  Girl was absolutely elated.  No way could we miss it!   She tried to hit the ball out of her dad’s hands instead of the T, but other than that she did a great job!  

After the game, she was the flower girl in my cousin Travis’ wedding. 
Brief things about Travis - he is my first cousin, and is the last of the 20 cousins on my dad’s side. He was born later than the rest of the cousins, actually coming after some of the great grandkids arrived.  He right was born right in between  Mallory and Madison and Colin. This essentially means that rather than hanging out with any of his cousins, he hung out with my kids, and nephews.  They have always been close.  I cannot even tell you how many times Travis took the brunt of blame for stupid decisions made by Colin and Cameron.   Example- let’s put our boat in the river at the public fishing area and then proceed to float down river about 10 miles.  Oh!! but we don’t have a motor on the boat, so now we are floating in Clinton Lake, and have no way to get home.  Let’s just say that Aunt Linda was SO NOT impressed.   Travis was older, it was his fault for not stopping them!   Travis took the blame.  Colin and Cameron were at fault.  He has always been there for my kids.  Cameron planned a surprise party for Colin’s birthday.  He got food, a cake, cleaned the house and pool, but forgot to invite people.  Travis showed up- never told anyone they were stupid.  Just ate dinner and thanked us for having him over.   I have a zillion stories about this kid, and I will be forever thankful for my kids having cousins to grow up with.  
Needless to say, Travis is also a glutton for punishment and asked Colin and Garrett to be groomsmen in his wedding.  They were happy to stand up with him, and only gave him a little grief!  

Ok back to the wedding.  Evelyn was given a beautiful dress to wear for the event.  When we tried it on her, we realized it was very long.  We didn’t have time to return it and get it back in time for the wedding.  My friend Grace is an amazing seamstress, however she had hand surgery a few days back, so she was out for helping.  My mom worked really hard.  She cut and pinned up, and got the dress shortened by at least 6 inches.  When we tried the dress on again, it was better, but still more than floor length.   We borrowed a hoop skirt.  That helped, but as she was walking, she would still sort of trip.  We talked to her about holding the dress up a little, but dang it- she’s just a little kid.  Her turn to enter - they had them walk down a flight of steps.  I was so nervous - knowing the dress was long.  First step she was fine.  Second step, she tripped!  I was so, so relieved that Abby’s brother had ahold of her and then chose to pick her up and carry her down the stairs!  Once on level ground, she was fine!   She did an absolutely amazing job!  We are so proud.  


The wedding was fun. I sincerely hope Travis and Abby have a happily ever after!   I was happy to get to hang out with so many of my cousins, aunts and uncles!  
I
I also loved seeing Colin and Spencer for a while!   Oh, and baby Lawson (isn’t he cute?).  

I had an amazing time with my forever wedding date.  I sometimes can not believe it has been almost 30 years since our own wedding.  I’m so lucky that I married the best dude - my favorite!  
There is a song out right now - “Next Thing You Know” I believe it’s by Jordan Davis.  It’s catchy but if you really listen to the lyrics it sort of reminds me of our life.  It goes by so fast. I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around how fast we went from wedding to our kids being adults!  Or some of them anyway!  

We had Evelyn’s weekly request for lunch before Colin and Spencer had to head back to Wichita. We had a nice visit, complete with a little pool time.  I’m so very blessed, life is good.  


No comments:

Post a Comment