Saturday, June 17, 2023

They always keep me guessing














This week, we had a lot of stuff to do.  We had ballgames, broken down vehicles, tire issues, meetings, city council and I don’t even know what else we tackled.  When things get crazy, we like to add in one more thing, because who doesn’t want a challenge?  Which is why, when Jim’s coworker offered me a job at her liquor store, I said sure!   Because why not?   I started with training.  I don’t think it will be that bad, their system is straightforward and their inventory is something I am familiar with.  Plus it is only one night per week and some occasional fill-ins.  
I finished training in time to drive Saige over to Harveyville to her game.  This game started out ok, but got a little bit rough.   Jim was getting upset because the umpire wasn’t exactly following rules. He is a rules and safety kind of guy.  If you know Jim at all, you know he spends his life following the rules and protocol, and paying attention to safety, and he expects everyone else to as well. The batters were batting at the front of the box, and stepping out of the front side when they batted.  They should have been out, but they weren’t calling it.  This meant that when they hit the ball, they were at least a foot closer to the pitcher than they should have been, and Saige was the pitcher.  They also hit our catcher when they threw a bat. It wasn’t called.  They also brought in a pitcher who was throwing cannons.  She would have been amazing, if she was accurate, but she was hitting our girls.  The combination of things proved too much for Jim, who then started asking questions.  He was not disrespectful, but umpires never like being talked to.  She gave him a warning and then went on to tell the coach if Jim talked again, she would throw our coach out!   I’ve not seen that before.  
Saige did an amazing job pitching.  She also did good at bat - taking a hard pitch in the knee and another in the ankle.  But she got on and scored, although not in a manner we would prefer. 

Sadly, Jim’s concern over them being closer to the pitcher was warranted.  Saige threw a pitch, the girl smacked it right back to her.  Saige put her glove up, but didn’t have much time!   The ball hit the top of her glove, bounced off and smacked her in the face.  I am thankful she got her hand up there to slow the ball down, as it could have broke her nose.  As it is, she has a pretty nasty amount of swelling, stitch marks on her nose, and a nice shiner!  We have been watching it spread.  She is one tough cookie - she took a few minutes, and then went back in and finished pitching the rest of the game - including extra innings!   She also got the win for them!   I hope we won’t have to play them again this year!  Or if we do, that we get an umpire who is as concerned with safety as Jim is!  

Evie had a T-ball game.  She played the whole game, then ran out to give me a hug and thanked me for coming.  Then asked if I brought money for the concession stand!   Good thing I took that 4th job?!?!?   I love that little gremlin.  I’d give her money any day!  

This weekend is a 3 day weekend.  We are putting the focus on relaxing a little bit.  I was thankful that the car was something that we were able to fix ourselves.  Preston was instrumental in getting it running better than before it broke down.  Preston also spent a bunch of his day off mowing and working on the yard, helping the weekend have less to do  Jim and  Andrew have planned out several fishing excursions - you know - because it’s Father’s Day!   I am not sure where they went or how long they will be gone, but if Jim is gone, we can watch HGTV without anyone asking why the game isn’t  on!   I feel like if I go to the ballpark 4 nights a week, we can relax and watch anything else!   
I always look forward to summer.  I like the weather, I like floating, I love hanging out with the kids and a little bit of a less rigorous schedule.  I always tend to forget how much running, how much car time, and how many more groceries we will need!   I will count my blessings, soak in the sunshine, and do the best we can.  

No comments:

Post a Comment