Thursday, April 25, 2024


 I don’t know why she decided to make videos on my phone while I was busy getting gas, but if you’re going to give me blog material, I’m going to take advantage of it!   I think she likes the songs her music teacher is having them sing lately!   
Last night, Saige had ball practice.  I ran to get a drink while she was busy practicing.  On my way back, I ran into the cutest little family!   Evie has been so excited that she and her dad got matching scooters!   She told me she got too big for her unicorn scooter, and is saving it for Wrenley!   This baby is so ornery. I bet she will be zipping away from them on her unicorn before they know what hit!  


Today was a rainy mess here.  I was amused by Evie bringing the umbrella that my sister gave her.  Even if it is a doll umbrella.  She is a funny kid.  She got off the preschool bus with it- Mallory thought it was hilarious.  


My mom and I drove a field trip today.  I can honestly say this was the worst group of kids I have ever hauled.  They were loud, rude, violated every rule,  and left behind a ton of trash.  I had 2 teachers and a para on the bus with  me.  I haul some of them on my shuttle. At one point, I heard one of them saying “ohhh Ms. Hope does not let us do that.”  He was 100% correct.  On the  way home, I decided it was not going to be a repeat of the trip up, and I took to the power mic with explicit directions on how the trip was going to go.  They were 80% better on the way back.  I have very definite opinions on the way children behave.  I mostly blame their parents, but I also think we are failing to set expectations for them in school.  Children are just that - children. I do not fault children for acting like kids…but why is everyone afraid to correct them?   All I’m going to say is not on my watch. If the adults with them don’t correct their behavior, then I will.  If I get fired for it, well so be it, but the safety regulations are for their benefit as well as for mine, and there are laws which we are required to follow.  Am I just getting old and grouchy?  I don’t actually think so.  I mean yes, I am old, but I  think education has changed.  I think they are so busy providing all the services that should be the parent’s responsibility that they are exhausted, and have no more energy to enforce behavioral expectations.  And I think that until we force parents to be responsible for their children, it won’t get better.  Period.  I predict that if some changes aren’t made, the teacher and staff shortages will continue because frankly, if I had to deal 8 hours a day with what I saw today, I would quit in a heartbeat.  



Saige has a class project to create a carnival game.  Today, I would guess that my grandma Shirley is smiling down on her.  She made cup pong.   Now, I am not sure if you know this, but my grandma taught all my older kids how to play (root) beer pong. No, this is not an exaggeration.  And she was proud of it too!   My grandma also never played a game that she didn’t fiercely compete to beat you -and she schooled all her great grandkids at it too!  When I asked her if she thought this was a good idea, she gave me some response about needing the skills for college.   Touché grandma!   I am sure she is proud of Saige’s carrying on family traditions.  

No comments:

Post a Comment