Saturday, April 20, 2024

If ya don’t blow away, ya gotta finish the week

 

It has been a crazy week.  Tornados, it turns out, increase the workload at both the city and the township.  We have done our best to cover things, and we have landed safely on the weekend, which I feel was an accomplishment.  Last night, when I texted Jim to ask him if he had any idea what I should make for dinner, I followed it up with "I am thinking pina coladas?" and I wasn't really kidding.  Some weeks just need to end, and this was one of them.  For no real particular reason, it just needs put behind us!  We are more than ready!  Mallory took this photo on Wednesday and told me she thought it was weird how so much damage can be done one day, and the next the sky looks like nothing happened.  Life is weird like that.  
Yesterday, Madison had part of the day off.  I am not clear on why, but she took Evie to school, and I did not watch her.  It worked well for me, since I had to leave work at the office and drive kids to their track meet.  
I think it is hilarious that every time Madison takes her to school, Evie wants "first day photos!"  Luckily for her, she is growing up in an era of digital photography!  I do love first day photos, maybe she comes by it honestly?  She and Wrenley are growing up too fast!


Last night, they had a little campfire.  I think someone enjoyed the ice cream a little too much!


Thursday, Quincy texted me to tell me she would be late, because she had volunteered with a group of high school kids who were going to the preschool to read to the little kids.  Evie was so excited she could hardly function.  I had her make a little video and we sent it to Quincy - in it she asked "but Aunt Quincy, can you even read?"  It completely cracked me up!  Sometimes I like to encourage her to be rotten ornery!  It doesn't take much encouragement!








In addition to our normal stuff, the extra work from the tornado stuff, the end of the school year insanity stuff, we also threw in ball practices- yes!  Let's add in summer stuff!  Good plan right?  Saige is back on a team with coach Emily.  She loved this team last summer, and is excited to play again.  Emily is working with them on their stance during batting, and using your hips to get more power.  Did I mention that we really like Emily?  Anyway, they were not supposed to lift their feet at all.  Saige was hitting, but kept lifting her foot, so the assistant coach helped her out!  This might look awkward, but it worked!  

It is a good coaching staff!  This man  - the one helping Saige hold her foot down, is a grandfather to one of the girls on the team.  He is a very encouraging man, and did a lot of pulling money out of his pocket last summer for things like "if everyone gets a hit in the game, I will buy you whatever you want at the concession stand after the game" sort of stuff.  The man believed in all the girls, and was very good to them.  He also happens to have one leg - and has a titanium metal rod.  So when they were discussing team names, and his granddaughter suggested "the peg legs" I thought OHH NOOOOO!  He paused only a moment, with look of surprise, and then said "you will want to be the peg legs when I pull this thing off and kick you in the behind with it!"  Needless to say, he vetoed that team name!
Harper was also supposed to start practices this week, but Thursday, we had storms again.  Luckily, they were just wind and a bunch of rain rather than a repeat of the earlier tornadic junk!

Yesterday, as I was driving the bus, the sunrise was absolutely amazing - the camera did not do it justice - the clouds were bright purple.  I send a photo to Jim and told him God is definitely a KSU fan today!  Later in the day, I heard from Preston, and he had landed a full-time summer job in Manhattan, that will allow him to be part time in the fall, found an apartment for the summer, and an apartment for next fall, and had even kept track of his birth certificate and social security card I gave him, and taken care of the paperwork.  He then sighed and told me adulthood isn't really that fun!  Huh!  Who knew?  



As a matter of fact, I knew.  Jim also said he knew.  I think he knew it even more when he got home, and I had started a fire on one of his piles, and was sitting outside with my pina colada!  He helped me stack the wood a little higher, and sat out there with me.  Saige spent the night at a friend's house.  Quincy and Harper soon realized that mom might be serious about the pina colada dinner, and they came inside and cooked for us.  We let the fire burn out, had a nice dinner made by the girls, and started a series that we have talked about watching.  It was glorious.  Too bad the rest of the weekend is looking like a less relaxing train wreck.  Jim was up early and off to city wide clean-up day.  Quincy is off to work.  I have been up feeding baby goats, washing laundry and cleaning house before I have to pick up Saige, fix lunch, put dinner in the crock pot, and head into work at the liquor store.  Tomorrow, we have ball practices, a load of hay being delivered, yard work to do, and Sunday dinner.  I am glad I took a moment to enjoy Friday evening!  There really is no rest for the wicked!

No comments:

Post a Comment