Sunday, October 11, 2009

Cold!

Mallory was the only one of my kiddos willing to brave the cold to paint windows downtown to promote national 4-H week. As you can see, there wasn't a very large crowd - something about being out painting at 35 degrees didn't set well with most people!





Well, it has turned cold on us! What do I do when it is cold? Well, I tend to like to bake! It has been a great week of soups, cinnamon rolls, brownies, desert pizza, and other good for the soul, but not necessarily for the waistline foods!
I did host our first cooking meeting for 4-H here yesterday. We focused on healthy snacks, and we made vegetable quesadillas (thank you for the ideas Grace!). My kids love chicken quesadillas, but I have to admit, they weren't too thrilled with the idea of stuffing them full of vegetables. My assistant leader and I thought they were really good though! And I have enough chopped veggies left over to make more to go with our dinner tonight! We didn't have a very good turn out for our first meeting, but the ones who showed up had a good time I think!
The cold forced me to tell Jim it was time to relent and turn on the furnace, however we have since discovered that our furnace is in need of a minor repair. So, baking was a bit necessary as our house has been a bit on the chilly side and keeping the oven going takes the chill off! I hope that the local repair guy makes it over here tomorrow! That might depend on if there is a domino game in town tomorrow or not!
The cold has also made our football games sort of miserable- I like a little chill to the air, drink a little hot chocolate at the game, but I don't really want to have to dress in coveralls! Cam has a game this afternoon, and I am going to have the girls babysit for the little ones so that they don't have to sit out in this weather. It is just not real conducive to a family outing! I am keeping my fingers crossed that it warms up for a couple of reasons, one Preston has his heart set on a fishing birthday party next Saturday, and we have invited a lot of folks to go fishing! The other reason is that we have inspections coming up at work and I really prefer if it is nice and warm when I am tramping around on dams and around water! So God willing, this cold snap is not here to stay!




No comments:

Post a Comment