Sunday, October 5, 2014

Johnny


On Friday, Preston was invited to a birthday party for some boys at our church.  They were having a campout and other outdoor activities.  Preston was very excited.  These boys had asked for cereal for their birthday gifts.  So on the way to drop Preston off, I stopped off at the grocery store in Carbondale.  I was happy to run into my nephew Josh who is working there.  After a couple of minutes of visiting with Josh he told me that a momma cat had some kittens behind the store.   She had moved them but left one behind. Josh said the kitten had been back there meowing for a couple of days.  He asked me if I might take it home because he was worried it was going to starve or freeze or get run over.  Interestingly, I told Jim I was going to get a couple of cats to keep in the box car because I keep finding mice in the chicken feed.  I hate mice more than anything!  Jim had agreed that we could get a couple of kitties to keep I outside and had said that he was adamant that we would have no more indoor cats.  I agreed.   I didn't call Jim because I knew he was already on board and so Josh showed us where the kitten was hiding. The girls couldn't be happier.  They were so excited and agreed that they would keep the kitten outside.  We named him John Wayne Gacey after a serial killer, as is our custom.  
You might notice that these photos are taken inside.  Well that is because Jim is the biggest softie on earth!  He had not really gone out to the barnyard to see te cat until last night.   After church, the girls went down to check on him and Jim took me aside and said we can't leave that tiny little thing outside to die.  It will crush the girls!  
And so, Johnny has now had a bath and is adapting nicely to indoor life!  Quincy has decided she is his mommy and Harper and Saige are his aunties. 
And that is the story of how a little baby who was abandoned became a loved family member!

No comments:

Post a Comment