Saturday, February 6, 2016

Basketball shots.

Cameron had a couple of games this week.  Both were far from home.  Tuesday he was in Iola.  They didn't win that game but Cameron had a great game.  His 8th grade and freshmen years he struggled.  Especially in the confidence area.  I am happy to say he is playing more confidently and seems like he is enjoying basketball again.  Some of it is coaching, and I genuinely like his coach this season.  He likes the coach as well.  
Last night, he was at Prairie View.  He had a great game again.  He made several points, drained some 3's, but I am most impressed by his assists.  I don't know how many he had, but he is good at figuring out how to feed the ball where it needs to be.  His ball handling skills are great.  
His team did win by 11.  The little grin on his face made the almost 2 hour drive worth it. 
I have to tell a little story though.  Cameron has been trying to build up school spirit and wants kids to come and cheer at the games. During the varsity games, he has a few friends who have established a sort of pep club.  Cameron came to talk to me after his game last night and told me he had been called to the office. The athletic director called him in to tell him he has to dial his cheering down.   He is no longer allowed to offer players on the court M&M's, he cannot shoot imaginary weapons at free throw shooters, and he is not allowed to make motions like imaginary screwdrivers every time the ref makes a call he doesn't like.  Apparently that is poor sportsmanship.  I had a hard time taking the conversation seriously. I may have laughed until years ran down my face.  What?  Really?  Someone could get hurt if you shoot imaginary bow and arrows?  Asking a player on the court if he wants candy is "targeting"? We live in a society full of wussy people.  I know Cameron, he will cheer louder now.  Minus the imaginary screw drivers of course. 

No comments:

Post a Comment