Sunday, January 15, 2017

Ice storm weekend


The weather people have been predicting a monster ice storm for this weekend. Saying inches of ice, impossible travel, dangerous conditions and probable power outages. Last Monday, Colin told me he and some friends along with my Cousin Travis were thinking about getting tickets to the Chief/Steelers game for Sunday's playoff game. He asked if he and a couple friends could come home and crash here this weekend. I said of course! Then I saw the weather report. I watched it all week and was near a point of panic at what I was seeing. I texted Colin and told him if he couldn't come home Friday afternoon, he should probably stay in Great Bend. He groaned about it, but figured out a way to get her by Friday afternoon. And it has done nothing. Nothing! Colin and his friend have laughed about it all weekend. "Sure are glad we missed that storm...we never would have gotten here!" Make fun all you want but it was missed by every single weather service. Colin admitted today that their college alert system warned them to leave campus early or cancel weekend plans and stay put.




Now I will freely admit to anyone that I covet days at home. I love to have a day with nothing going on. I love to wear sweat pants and cook up tasty foods. I love to catch up laundry and watch the shows I have on the DVR that I never have time to watch. I love the chaos of our lives, truly wouldn't change a thing, but a day at home is my happy place. So I stocked up on groceries, with ingredients for a few recipes I have been wanting to try and planned to hunker down and enjoy the gift of freedom from life. It has worked out beautifully. Quincy was supposed to be in a basketball tournament in Wamego, Preston was supposed to play in his first game of the season in Americus, Cameron had a home game against Anderson county, we were supposed to have a late holiday party after mass, and a few other things. All of it cancelled. All of it! And no storm. Which meant I didn't have to worry about the older girls traveling to work, or Colin going to watch his Steelers and yet here I sit at home! I feel like it was a bonus gift from God!




Preston and I have cooked a lot of amazing food this weekend too! We used the fry daddy and fried all sorts of vegetables. Yea, I know - take something good and turn it into- something amazing! We fried up mushrooms, jalapeƱos, broccoli, carrots and cauliflower. It was so good! Preston ate vegetables. Yes I realize fried vegetables hardly qualify as health food, but Preston eating any vegetable is a win for me!




I have amazing kids, a great husband, warm house, bellies full of comfort food and I love this life.



No comments:

Post a Comment