Monday, April 24, 2017

City wide weekend

 This was the weekend for City Wide Garage Sales in Overbrook.  It is funny to me how the town takes on  an almost festival type atmosphere.  It is a big deal in a small town!  We had to leave the setting up for the 4-H sale in order to attend Preston's 6th grade concert.  The choir was ok - but the band was amazing!  I am not merely biased, they are good!  It is truly awesome when you stop to think that they have only been in band for 2 years now.  Preston is pretty good on the trumpet.  I sincerely love the band.
Cameron had an FBLA garage sale as well, but didn't help set up on Friday evening because he was at a track meet.  He did JV pole vaulting, and took 1st place with a jump that cleared 8'6".  That is a personal record for him.  He also did varsity triple jump and was 6th place.  He said the meet was ridiculously cold, wet and miserable.  So sorry I missed it!  
 Saturday morning, despite them calling for rain, it was just cloudy.  I was so relieved.  Quincy and Landrie were the 4-Hers in charge of the sale.  I will take a minute to brag on them.  They are giant goofballs.  We never really know what they will say or do next, but they worked their little buns off!  They set up, helped carry stuff in, served food, took money, bartered with people, talked to people, helped carry stuff to vehicles, and cleaned up all without complaint.  They were sweeping and taking out trash long after the other 4-H kids were gone - and they were genuinely happy doing it.  I am proud of them!  Their sale raised a little over $1100.  They are making a donation to the Clark county 4-H kids who lost projects in the fires last month, and using the rest to offset camp expenses for their own club members.  I am proud of them.  (Exhausted, but proud).
I have not heard how the FBLA sale went, but Cameron said it was busy.  He also said that he enjoyed bartering with people.  I can just imagine how that was.
 Quincy and I were so happy to be done with the sale, and have everything cleaned up in time to hit the sale where they were selling strawberry and blackberry plants!  When we pulled in the driveway, Saige was out front coloring with sidewalk chalk she had conned Mallory into buying for her!  She announced she was out there with her club.  Apparently Jack the cat, and Lance the goat are her club members.
 While we were garage sale crazy, and entertaining club members, Jim took Preston and Colin to the KSU spring game.  They went with Uncle Jay, and had a great time with him!  Of course, for my guys any day in Manhattan or watching football is a good day!
Before we left for church, I noticed that Jack the cat was frantic to get into the house.  After mass, I realized why.  She had 4 kittens on the front steps.  Jack is the white cat.  Sticker Paws, the other cat had kittens on Easter.  A raccoon (we assume) ate them.  She must be very sad about it, because she laid right with Jack and was helping clean the kittens and nursing them.  We have put a box out there for Jack, and Stickers is laying in there as well.  I think it is strange, but they both seem content.  Maybe with 2 mothers, these kittens will be more likely to survive?
 I ordered turkeys for Quincy and Harper to raise as a new 4-H adventure.  The feed store called to say they were in.  Jim agreed to pick them up on his way home.  I ordered 10 standard white turkeys.  When Jim got there, he said there were 2 golden crested turkeys left, and they looked sad, so he brought them home too!
 The girls are excited to give turkey raising a try.  They say they understand that these are going into the freezer!  They are very cute!  I hope they remember my "don't get attached" speech!


No comments:

Post a Comment