Friday, January 5, 2024

Flurries?










Today was a mess.  A huge, huge mess.  I took off on my morning route.  I had the radio on and they repeatedly said we were expecting snow flurries later in the morning.  I had no trouble, as it wasn’t doing a thing. Every dry day is a good day in bus world. 
Saige had an outer ear infection and had a re-check this morning.  My dryer broke.  Our repairman was supposed to stop by on his way home last night, but forgot.  He called to say he could stop this morning instead.  Since Preston is home for winter break for a while longer, I asked him if he could watch for, and let the man in.  He said no, he would rather take Saige to her appointment, and buy animal feed than hang out with the repairman.  Seemed like a great deal to me, I  could accomplish both things, and not take quite as much time off work.   My day job is a little cray right now, with year end paperwork, and  a large annual meeting coming up, I was not pleased with taking time off anyway.  I parked the bus, and borrowed Jim’s truck to run home.  I handed off my debit card to Preston with a list of  the doctor’s address and my livestock feed needs.  I met the repairman and waited while he unsuccessfully tried to repair the dryer.  (Another thing to put onto next week). When I came out of the basement, I realized it was snowing. Hard. Jim’s truck is horrible in the snow, but it had only been snowing for a short time.  I am not exaggerating when I say I barely made it back to town.  It was coming down hard, sticking, and extremely slick!   Preston texted to say they were on the way to drop Saige off at school, and I was worried about him driving back.  Quincy gets out of school this semester at 1, and I started worrying about her as well.  

Definitely not flurries!  
I worked in the office for a few hours, and then it was time to take the kids home.  Since I was in town, I saw the county go by several times, clearing the streets.  I had no trouble getting to Carbondale on the highway.  But then I had to take kids home who live down the gravel roads. The back roads were a$$.  I stopped to let off some kids, on flat ground and couldn’t get going again. The new buses have some anti-skid system.  It won’t let the tires spin.  Sometimes you need to be able to spin a little to catch gravel.  It was irritating to say the least.  I finally figured out if I hit the gas a little, took my foot off and then pushed a little more I could rock and spin a small amount.  I got stuck and unstuck  4 times.  I finally made it home, and I got stuck in the end of the driveway.  I seriously wanted to cry.  I had to slide backwards and then go around the mile to come in from the direction where I would be going downhill.  I was extremely happy to park it tonight!  

Unfortunately, Quincy is covering a shift at work tonight, so she had to go out again.   Jim brought home the Nissan from Mallory’s house so we can get around better until the roads clear.  Four wheel drive is needed - although Jim said he didn’t have trouble getting around - the Nissan handles snow pretty well.  

Evelyn didn’t have school today, and Madison doesn’t have to start back until next week.  I was happy that they didn’t have to get out today!  Andrew started a new job today. Whereas I am glad he is no longer having to drive to Kansas City every day, his new job is driving a semi, and he had to make a run today.  I felt bad for him.  I’m glad he is ok.  I worried about him.   Next week isn’t looking much better weather wise.  Maybe the smartest ones are Cameron and Lauren?   Baton Rouge was 50 today and looks warmer next week!   I am a fan of 50!  

And for the grand finale of this post - Mallory  says I don’t post about her dogs often enough.  They are doofuses but they are her doofuses.  Side note - if you want to break into her house, bring snacks.  They will slip you the door code for a snack!  

No comments:

Post a Comment