Monday, January 8, 2024

Sanity saving weekend









After the holiday insanity, we had a weekend where there was nothingness.   No places to be, no huge projects, no expectations, no shopping to do, nothing.  And it. Was. Awesome.   Not even kidding.  After Friday night’s bussing mess, and  a week of not even knowing what day it was, I had the weekend I needed to decompress.  I accomplished a couple of things, but mostly read a book, cooked a lot for the kids, who also had nowhere to go, and we just were.  I wish it didn’t have to end, but.. reality.  
Sunday, I planned to pick Mallory up for church (we hope she will get her car back soon), but she called as I was almost ready in a fit of tears. She said she slipped on her deck and twisted her ankle.  I told her Advil, ice and elevate and I would check on her after church.  When I got to her house, she was miserable, but I think she also wanted to be around people, so I brought her home with me.  And the dogs too.  Olive discovered the ball that Volt and Cash left here!  The dog is insane for playing catch or fetch or just looking at any ball.  


The grandkids will always make you feel better.  Hard to be miserable with so much happiness.  Mallory left here in the boot that we borrowed from Dodie 100 years ago and keep forgetting to return.  (Sorry Dodie).  I don’t think her ankle was good, but she’s tough and will be ok eventually.   Wrenley is truly the 1000 face kid.  At one point I looked over and she was flapping her tongue. It was a proud moment for Poppy!   I have a video, but this app won’t load video to the blog for some reason.   Anyway she is such a funny baby, so much personality already.  I think she is going to be a comedian!   Evelyn was also filled with ideas.  Her current worry is about bad guys.  She wanted to stay here with us because aunt Quincy and aunt Harper are good at fighting bad guys.  (Really?).  She wasn’t allowed to stay,  but she tried hard.  Those little girls bring us so many laughs and such joy.  
We took Mallory home, and Jim even managed to fit his truck into her garage.   We are sort of hoping for a snow day, the weather sounds like it is going to be really bad the next couple of days.  My thought about moving to Baton Rouge to avoid the weather got squelched by Cameron telling me they were in a high alert area for tornados and bad storms today.  Although, I sort of prefer rain and thunderstorms to snow, ice, and whatever nonsense they are predicting here.  We have a new superintendent. I was hoping she would throw all sorts of caution into her decision making, but it is 5 am on a day when we are in a winter weather advisory, and she has still not called school.  Into the shower I go, praying the forecast is wrong and the bus isn’t a miserable mess today!
My decompression weekend is over.   My week ahead is going to cause me to need another one next week, but we can never get so lucky as to have another one in the same month.  One day at a time I guess.       

No comments:

Post a Comment