Thursday, January 4, 2024

Ending and sadness







Christmas break is ending, today is our first day back.  We are all very sad.  It went too fast!   
We had to drop Cameron off so he could drive back to Louisiana.  Lauren had to go back to work.  They made it safely, and I am glad, especially after seeing the turd box of a rental car they got!   No matter how long I live, I will always hate goodbye.  I loved having Cameron home for a few days, and I appreciate all his help with some projects, as well as having time to visit with him.   He is doing good things with his life, and we are very proud of him.  (Lauren too!).  I still hate that they are so far away, but I feel like it is a short lived problem.  Evie was very sad to see Uncle Cam cam go!   
After staying with us for several days, Evie also left us.  Madison’s furnace was fixed.  I am glad they have heat again, but we miss our little side kick.  
Mallory (and Daisy Paige and Olive) also spent a great deal of time here over the break, and she had to report back to work yesterday.  I gave her my car since (sadly) I will be now driving the bus again. 
The girls and I took down the Christmas decor. Technically, I believe you are supposed to leave it up until the Epiphany, but I thought since the house was desolate and sad feeling, we might as well take care of purging the last bit of happy reminders of break.   

Quincy and Saige had dentist appointments yesterday.  Quincy said she would take them since she had to go anyway and I have year-end things I’m working on at the office.  I got a call from the dental office.  Saige was having anxiety, and was refusing to let them give her a shot.  They can’t work on her unless she becomes compliant.  I texted her.  She apologized and said she was just freaking out and she would do better.  They called a little later to say she was just having a rough time and they wanted to reschedule when they could give her nitrous.  Now, I am going to tell you this - I didn’t know how to handle it.  My first reaction was straight up anger.  This is ridiculous.  I was thinking if I had refused to let the dentist work on me as a child, I’m pretty sure I still wouldn’t be able to sit down today. Interestingly, Jim had invited all of us out for lunch, but Quincy had taken Saige to sonic because she was so upset.  As we were eating, Preston said mom “I know you’re probably mad, but you did tell us it is ok to express our feelings, and to not be ashamed when we are scared, worried, or hurting.  I’m sort of proud of her.”    Ok so that is one way to think about it.   I’m still mad though.  If you don’t hear from Saige, it is because I confiscated her phone.  If I have to make a second trip to take care of something that should have been handled already, she is going to suffer the consequences a little bit.  I am trying to be understanding, but we all have to face little fears in life, and nobody likes dental work.  I promise we will force the issue and she will get her tooth fixed.     Just one more thing to do I guess.  
Anyway, Back we go, whether we are ready or not.  I’m sad, but thankful that We finished the bedroom/bathroom painting job. Thankful for the time I got with the family.  Thankful that we had a chance to see all of our children this Christmas. Thankful to my husband for being generous with his Christmas bonus/vacation buyback and giving us all a fun Christmas.  It was a good holiday season, filled with fun, food and love.  We are now going to try to enjoy Quincy’s last semester of being in high school, and look forward to summer’s arrival!  I mean, if we are honest, the next best thing to Christmas is sunshine and warm weather, right?   

No comments:

Post a Comment