Thursday, April 16, 2020

Down some old back road....

Things I am learning during this pandemic -
1.  There are a ton of things to do all around us, and although I have tried to take the kids places, the time is so short normally, that we don't do as much of it is as we should or could. 
2.  Everyone needs out of the house, and the yard for their mental health.
3.  My kids are smart, insightful and caring people. 
This week has been cold, but yesterday the sun was shining.  It was not playing in the creek weather, but I let the kids do it anyway.  Harper even said "I can't believe mom is letting us in the water, because usually she would say it's not warm enough for that."  For the record, I only let them play where it was super shallow and only their feet got wet.  

Quincy and I were watching TV and I was waiting for the plumber.  When the plumber moved his appointment, Quincy asked if we could please go on a car ride.  A ride to anywhere just to see some thing.  ANYTHING!  We talked about it and decided to go over near my parent's house to the low water bridge and look for fossils around the creek.  They were so excited to get out!  We had to drive by my cousin's house and they were so happy to see Adam!  They were waving and talking about how nice it is to see people again.  Honestly, we haven't been in lock down that long!  :)   We had the creek to ourselves, and the kids had so much fun.  Quincy, Harper and Preston did a little fishing, Saige and I took a nature hike and found some fossils and a little bit of coal.  









And because kids should have an appreciation for where their meals come from, we talked about my job, and about erosion and the need for stream bed stabilization on our creeks and rivers.  Erosion is super easy to spot along most creeks!  Plus, a little bit of education is always thrown in if your mom is a nerd.  :)   
When I realized that they were all picking up trash, and cleaning up debris without being told, it made me pretty happy!


We also practiced some rock skipping.  It was nice to get out and have time to do something together.  I am happy we live where we do!  I have a few other places in mind to take the kids in the coming weeks.  They can make us be socially distant, but they can't stop us from making our own fun.

We threw the fish back and got pizza for dinner!  The kids sat in the car while I ran in Casey's.  Quincy literally sighed and said "it is sooo nice to see people again!"  I hope this pandemic finds a resolution soon, we aren't very far in for them to be reacting this way!  



No comments:

Post a Comment