Monday, April 6, 2020

progress



We had a good weekend.  We made progress on several projects.  We managed to get the basement painting that we started back at Christmas break finished.  Basically we only had the hallway left to do.  The problem with the hallway was that we had a bunch of junk stored in the end of it.  Stuff like old totes of family photos, and other stuff that I do not really know what to do with, but don't really want to get rid of either.  The kids moved it all out to the basement living room, and we painted the hallway.  Painting was much easier than the project we now have of going through all that stuff.  I told Jim I would do one or 2 totes a day and organize it.  Harper did help me yesterday, and we actually had fun looking through some of it.  I still don't know what to do with all of it, but at least it will be an organized mess.  :)  I will say that blogging and digital photography have made my life a lot better.  All the photos are somewhat labeled, and in chronological order, which makes me happy.  At least we aren't adding to the tote disaster!  We did not get Quincy's bedroom painted.  I told her we would do it some evening this week.  I will say that Preston and Quincy both helped me  paint, and they both did a remarkable job.  I sometimes forget how old they are getting, and how they are capable of doing things like this.  I am pleased with how nice the hallway looks- painting always makes things seem fresh and new!   


Friday, the girls decided to give each other dreadlocks.  Harper sat for a long time letting Quincy  do her hair.  I then did Quincy's.  They thought they would wear them until the quarantine is over, but after a day, they said they itched and we ended up taking them out.  It was not very much fun taking them out!  Lots of combing.  On an up note, if they are willing to part with their rubber bands for this, maybe the rubber band bracelet making phase is over? 


Since it is still lent, we made meatless potato soup for dinner.  Preston was pretty sure we needed fresh rolls since soup is only good if you have rolls.  I was helping with the hair thing, so I told him if he wanted rolls, he could make them.  I shouted directions from the hair salon, and he did make the rolls.  He also complained because he hates to have his hands covered in sticky, and he said he would just buy his bread at the store from now on.  The rolls did turn out, and there are none left, so I would say he was successful.  At least he knows how if he ever decides to do it again!  Everyone should know how to bake their own bread in my opinion. 

I ordered some hermit crabs online.  I admit I was looking for something else, and happened to see this hermit crab kit, with live crabs, and was more curious to see how one ships live crabs, so I ordered them.  I then had to explain to Jim how it was that I came to this strange decision.  Jim didn't seem to mind, I think he is growing used to my weirdness.  Of course, when I ordered these crabs, it was 70 and beautiful, and when they arrived it was icy and cold.  Of course it was, because Kansas has crazy bipolar weather.  I was so happy that they arrived alive.  The kids were surprised, and although they say they are a little bit creepy, they are enjoying watching them and giving them baths.  And if you are curious, they ship live crabs in a cup with a lid with small holes in it, packed in shredded paper and a wet sponge.  Now I am curious as to know who was the first person to pack and ship a hermit crab.  We may do some research for fun later.  

Yesterday, as I was cleaning, Saige told me she formed a new club.  She is calling it the SOB club.  I stopped mid dishes to say HUH?  What kind of club is that?  She said oh SOB stands for Saige, Ollie and Blitz.  OHHH  Phew!  I was scared there for a minute!  Silly girl, sure does love these dogs.  I think considering the number of dog treats she gives out, it is safe to say they love her too!  



And just like when we are not in lock down, the weekend went by too, too fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment