Thursday, April 23, 2020

Remember....










We broke social distancing and stay home orders today and snuck off to Manhattan to see Cameron.  It had been weeks since we last saw him.  Honestly I couldn’t do it anymore.  This week he tweeted that he was missing his mom.  It broke me.  I decided there are things we could do in Manhattan outside and it would be ok.  So the kids and I ate lunch with Evelyn, and then jumped in the car.  We joked about being thugs and criminals.  We had a serious conversation about how it maybe was a bit of a risk.  When we saw Cameron, and he was so happy that we came to his house, the risk was worth it in my mind.  

My intent was to take the kids to Pillsbury Crossing.  It was where the pioneers crossed Deep Creek and the Kansas River in their coveted wagons. It is a Rock ledge and there is a waterfall.  Apparently everyone in Manhattan had the same idea.  There were probably 100 people there, and as we pulled in, so did the Riley County police.   We wouldn’t have stayed anyway due to trying to follow social distancing ideas in public, and avoiding crowds.  We decided we would go to the top of Manhattan hill and then go hike the Kanza prairie nature trails in the beautiful flint hills.  Both things had numerous people at them, but we were able to maintain a pretty good amount of social distance.  I’m not sure that the college kids are concerned about covid 19 at all. Manhattan was just as busy as it always is. 

We had a lot of conversations that went like— remember when we wouldn’t have cared if there was a crowd? Hey, can we go to Call Hall and get ice cream and cheese?  Nope it’s closed.  Hey can we- oh yea. Stupid pandemic.  Oh what about -groan cant do that either.  All of our favorite things to do in Manhattan are closed.  We had a lot of “Remember when” conversations.  Not that we didn’t have fun, or that it wasn’t amazing to see Cameron, but the corona virus is definitely changing life as we knew it.  

Cameron is doing really well.  He is the only one left at his house. His roommates all went back home. He says people are pretty generous and he is working a lot of hours at Texas Roadhouse doing curbside services.  He calls it “working the streets” and says his boss doesn’t really find that funny.  We all went out for dinner at Dairy Queen.  The kids think it is awesome that Cameron’s house is 2 blocks from there- how awesome would that be?  I’m very glad we got to spend the afternoon together.  I have missed my boy!   

I think the Kansas Flint Hills is some of the most beautiful scenery you will ever see.  
On the ride home we stopped to get rock candy at the Velero - a tradition Jim started with the kids when they were babies.  
The ride home also had a lengthy conversation about how the kids really do miss school.  I know they are missing their friends and Quincy and Preston both said going to class is better than being online.  They are all sick of zoom meetings and they all said they would be happy to go back to school.  It was sort of heartbreaking.  I know they are all grieving their normal lives.  The first few weeks was sort of a fun, extended spring break.  The reality started settling in.  For all the downfalls people talk about in the public schools, our kids have had good experiences overall, and they would happily take their places in school again.  I know they had a good day and I don’t take the conversation personally, I have similar feelings.  I hate to shop- absolutely hate it. I hate going to stores and looking for stuff.  Until I was told I couldn’t.  I usually chop around on my own hair, and color it at home until I was told I couldn’t go get it done.  Something about being told I can’t makes me want it more.  It’s silly.  I know that.  I’m sure I’m not alone though.  

No comments:

Post a Comment