Friday, April 10, 2020

Holy Thursday



The kids had fun dying eggs last night and we talked about Jesus washing his disciple's feet.   I originally wanted to have them wash each other's feet, as we would have been doing if we were allowed to attend mass, but they were opposed to this idea.  Quincy might have even suggested that quarantine is getting to me and I am losing my mind.  The good part of social distancing is that we have the time to do these things, and have had a lot of good chats.  The purpose of Jesus washing feet was to show that if God can serve his people, we can too.  We are called to serve.  We talked about how we can serve even when we are not supposed to be out.  You might notice the bowl of dirty brown eggs on the counter.  Well, we are helping a neighbor by saving a few fertile eggs for them, because the shortages extend into not being able to buy baby chickens.  He is going to incubate these!  I hope they will grow and feed his family.  I am also very glad that we have chickens.  There is a definite shortage of certain things in the grocery store.  In my lifetime, I have never seen anything like it.  Our chickens lay brown eggs.  I usually buy a few dozen white eggs for the kids to dye around this time of year, but this year that was difficult!  I did find some at the Dollar General in Overbrook!  I didn't buy as many as I usually would have, but the kids liked doing  the ones we managed to get!    I am going to say that I was able to get all the stuff that I couldn't get at Wal-mart at our local Dollar General.  I am impressed with them.  I know there are people who don't like their corporation, or think they are hurting the small towns, but seriously, they have served me well more times than I can count.  

I did go into Wal-mart yesterday.  I hadn't been inside any of the big stores since the kids were on spring break.  A month.  We were out of stuff, and I decided to get up and be there when the store opened.  I was shocked at the changes.  I guess hearing it on tv, and actually seeing it were different!  I had to wait in line to get in the store.  The line at 7 am was short, but still.  The store shelves were mostly stocked, but there were noticeable absences of  some items.  I bought the last 2 blocks of cheese!  There were no eggs.  There was no butter!  There was limited amounts of milk and flour.  I wasn't able to get some of the stuff on my list.  I was thinking about my Grandma Nellie.  She was famous for telling us all "waste not, want not" when we were growing up, and we used to have no idea what that meant.  She lived in a very large family during the depression.  She told us stories about stealing apples off the neighbor's tree on the way to school.  She saved everything.  Jars, cool whip containers, plant starters, Wendy's spoons, ketchup packets....she would find a use for it.  One other thing that I remember but never really understood until now was that she never cut up a piece of fruit or a vegetable without keeping the seeds.  She would clean a cantaloupe or a pepper, and put the seeds in a little bowl to dry.  She kept them in envelopes in her kitchen.  Sometimes she would send them home with us.  I think I understand this bizarre habit now, and I appreciate her for it in a way that I never had before.  And I think I will try to do more of it myself!


No comments:

Post a Comment